U S MAIL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how common or uncommon these bottles are?

What sizes do they come in?
This one is 9 inches tall.

Any thoughts on what looks like a double stamping on the bottom.

Ball park value. Thanks, Roy
From the conversation here, looks like you hit the jackpot with a really neat bottle!!!! Great find!!! $500-$800, even without the paper label.

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score
Great bottle...maybe you can get a reproduction sticker made...place it on your bottle and sell it for $1,300. I bet you that bottle is worth $500. as-is purplish. Great find.
TexasRancher,
Thank you, I had never seen one of these before and had no idea what it might be worth but the price was right (nowhere near $500.) so I bought it.
Roy

Roy

Reaction score
From the conversation here, looks like you hit the jackpot with a really neat bottle!!!! Great find!!! $500-$800, even without the paper label.
historic-antiques,

Thank you.
At first glance I wasn't even sure it was old, but it certainly is. I only had to tumble the interior, never did anything but wash the outside. A 3 day tumble and its in perfect condition minus a label.

Roy

Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Roy,
Great find! I suggest you obtain more boxes from that source! Congrats.:)
..Thanks to all the members who contributed their skills in solving Roy's mystery.:cool:

Reactions: Roy

Semar

Reaction score
I found this w/a search on US mailboxes;.
Something must have inspired the maker to construct a mold like this; could it be related to or celebate the introduction of a new style of mailbox?
Just throwing this out there.

By 1891 the U.S. Post Office Department had over 48,400 letter boxes of various types in use around the country. When postal officials accepted this style box, developed by Eugene D. Scheble, a dentist from Toledo, Ohio, the postal system encountered a great deal of trouble. Illegal deals were involved in the selection of the mailbox. Ultimately several prominent persons were indicted by a grand jury in 1903 on charges of conspiracy and fraud in connection with the letter box contracts, but not before more than 49,300 Scheble style boxes had been purchased. The Scheble mailbox was made of sheet metal, not iron.
The Van Dorn Iron Works of Cleveland, Ohio, was selected to make better boxes. Although Van Dorn boxes were known for their durability to weather, they were rather homely in appearance. Despite the fact that some models were "spruced up" by the addition of fancier handles, they were generally so unattractive that in some cities local postmasters were requested, if not absolutely required, to remove them from boulevards, avenues, and streets where the letter boxes were out of harmony with the ornate electric lampposts then in use.
scheble.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen