Best collection I've EVER seen...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Nice little OP ink that I'd swear is Stoddard.

89D4B0B35E5E4750A76A27D11E529705.jpg

ummm probably willington glass works, but still nice[;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
All that NE glass confoozes me anyway... I'll stick with Joisey stuff! [:-]

bombboy, I don't remember the name on it... I do remember there was a smaller one with the same weird glaze and writing, but it had a different name. I was too shell shocked after seeing this awesome stuff to take any notes! [&:]

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: div2roty

So many amazing pieces to choose from, many of which I didn't even photograph, but is this the crown jewel of the stoneware section? I remember Chris's similar example sold for $70,000 or so?

D3492DBDAD744EE08E18C2701442E026.jpg

Chris's example was much better, it had a better design with birds, a more artistic design, and was from Baltimore. Where stoneware is from is often the most important part in determining its value.

Also who made the piece is important ours was made by master potter Henry Remmey Sr. From the research I did I believe it was actually made for the wedding of Jacob Meyers Daughter. Meyers who owned the Baltimore stoneware manufactory where Remmey was contracted to operate the pottery after the war of 1812 broke out. To make stoneware for Myers who was a prominent Baltimore china merchant. His Daughter Mary got married in 1821 to the son of the guy who owned the house were we dug the pitcher and he and Mary lived there after they were married. One of their daughters ended up marrying into the Parr family. Interestingly enough Elisia Parr worked with Remmey Sr and Jr at the stoneware manufactory. So there was a lot of family connection with the piece. It is considered to be the best example of incised Baltimore stoneware known. Had it been undamaged it might have brought $200K at the time.

But I guess when you are a master potter you can't just make any old piece as a wedding gift for the bosses daughter....

Chris

P.S. I might try to buy it back when it comes back up for sale in the future if I have the extra cash laying around. Its the only thing I regret ever selling. I just didn't have the cash to buy everyone out when we found it.

LC

Reaction score
This pitcher puts me in the mind of being what is called Spongeware . That is just a guess , not sure if I am right .

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: buzzkutt033

interesting history Chris. caught my eye as it correlates with
the article in AB & GC March issue on NY Pottery and Politics.

jim

I know, that's the funniest thing. Very interesting article, and very cool that Chris's piece had such connections to history.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Doug, the stencil is very close to mine, but there are definite differences. It is the closest that I have ever seen though. Thanks for thinking of me.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score

All that NE glass confoozes me anyway... I'll stick with Joisey stuff! [:-]

LOL, All that jersey stuff confuses me! Divide and conquer!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster