Bigbird

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
We try to keep them fed,....we even recycle our bacon grease,....render it down and pour it over a mesh rectangle, and while still liquid, you just pour the bird seed into the pan....once it's all set (we usually just set it outdoors to resolidify)...you can hang the whole "block" out on the tree for them...It brings a lot of birds. Dale,..I'm sure they'd love a vacation in your neck of the woods...[:D]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
I think they're here Fred!....[;)]

D3A21980274E44F78DE97C8A6ECF6DFC.jpg

Attachments

• D3A21980274E44F78DE97C8A6ECF6DFC.jpg
    D3A21980274E44F78DE97C8A6ECF6DFC.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 69

towhead

Reaction score
Yeah SA, you can toss a glass of water into the air and it crystalizes!

And yeah Joe, I'm sending "my" Blue Jays yer way too!! -Julie

ecotramper412

Reaction score
Those male cardinals have to work pretty hard for that red color, birds don't produce it naturally, its acquired through berries and such. The seeds and berries that supply the carotenoids (generally) aren't too nutritional for them, so they have to eat what they can to get by but then work additionally hard to obtain the redness.

Whoever is the most red gets the girl because it shows the ladies that they can survive in the harsh world, but they are also healthy enough to spend loads of energy obtaining the carotenoids to show off. And like Joe said, it doesn't get easier, they just work that hard to become a target for the hawks.

[align=left] [/align]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ecotramper412

Those male cardinals have to work pretty hard for that red color, birds don't produce it naturally, its acquired through berries and such. The seeds and berries that supply the carotenoids (generally) aren't too nutritional for them, so they have to eat what they can to get by but then work additionally hard to obtain the redness.

Whoever is the most red gets the girl because it shows the ladies that they can survive in the harsh world, but they are also healthy enough to spend loads of energy obtaining the carotenoids to show off. And like Joe said, it doesn't get easier, they just work that hard to become a target for the hawks.

[align=left] [/align]

Great info Dustin,...I remember reading some about that before, about the diet, vs. how bright they become...(We have one that must be REALLY popular with the ladies,) because he's super bright "beacon" red, and you can see him a mile off,...He's pretty cautious at the feeder, I've yet to get a good photo of him...compared to his coloration, the other males almost look dull.

SAbottles

Reaction score
OK Joe, I give up. "Your birds is bigger than mine" as they might say on the playground!!
The thought of that lot landing on my little Yucca tree boggles the mind ! [:D]

Stardust

Reaction score
Joe that's a great tip if people eat bacon to add the seeds~
Also I love your feeder, it looks like an old one. Most cardinals are ground feeders.
I would love to get one of those feeders that go right into your window so it's like they are in the room
with you. They are very $$$$. Right now I can't see out the windows and miss the birds.

Thanks for posting everyone ~ "birds of the feather stick together " my mom used to say that all the time.
I'll have to look it up... ; ) Have a good day everyone.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4