Birthday blue ball...expert help needed

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello to all -
I bought this for myself as a birthday present (we'll call it). I was told by the person selling this that it was a "student's alcohol lamp". I really think it's a target ball. I've been studying all that I can about target balls and most are between 2 1/2" - 2 3/4". This measures 3 1/4" - 3 3/8". Is this out of the question for a target ball? There are 2 obvious ball collectors online, Kerr and R. Finch. Does anyone know of others to contact to get an ID on this? I love it and would buy it again.

The embossing is as follows:
Patd Sep.14th 1880 // and March 14th 1893

It has 3/4" or more glass on bottom and is thick at the top area also. It has a sheared top and has been blown into a 3PM (three piece mold) with many bubbles throughout.

Any ideas or comments?

Ge95178.jpg

Attachments

• Ge95178.jpg
    Ge95178.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 129

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Here's another look at it. I thought I'd give this forum a chance before I ask/write to the ball collectors.

Fd91014.jpg

Attachments

• Fd91014.jpg
    Fd91014.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 125

woody

Reaction score
The sheared lip is very similar to the early oil lamps that I have dug.
I believe Harry is spot on with his description.
I can see how it can be mistaken for a target ball.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Harry - Give me a chance to finish posting my question...[:D] Look at the times posted. It's less than 4 minutes and I've been researching this for over a month. It was interesting learning everything about target balls though. I know I've been on that (your) website page more than once too. I usually don't miss much either.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

I would, if you're willing, like to know what area yours came from. The person that sold me mine is in CA. and picked this up over 20 years ago at a flea market. He said that he has seen aqua, amber and blue like mine. He only mentioned that it originally had a metal base at one time. The last time he saw one, they were marked at $125 and up. How many have you seen or do you have more Harry? They must be somewhat scarce.

Woody - I'd be interested in seeing some of those lamps that you mentioned, if you still have them.

Slimdigger - I felt the same with the Pat. date thing, but I also could not find one like it. I was always suspicious, mainly because it seemed too big. Everything else screams target ball.

Target ball or lamp.....It's pretty neat, beautiful and I'd love to have more. It really seems to be made just like a target ball and one theory may be that these were made by the same glass houses that made target balls and such. Some collectors say that target balls are not bottles. Have you ever heard of this? Another question: Would this be considered a bottle?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Meech . . .

Since I built that web-page with the pic of my "target ball," I have seen complete lamps for sale in antique shops and shows. I believe that $125 is about the right retail price for a complete lamp.

I don't think of this alcohol reservior as a bottle any more than I think of an oil lamp reservior as a bottle. Same for target balls or old light-bulbs.

The glass bulb sits loose in a base like an egg-cup. I am always watching for an appropriate cup to fit my reservior bulb.

The three uses for these lamps that I have heard suggested were:
--jeweler's lamp
--lace-maker's lamp
--barber's singe lamp

Here is one of these lamps illustrated in the 1894-95 Montgomery Ward & Company Catalogue.

----------Harry Pristis

Ex70482.jpg

Attachments

• Ex70482.jpg
    Ex70482.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 150

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Excuse me for interrupting the thread, but what exactly is a Target Ball and what was it's contents? Thank you, Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thank you Slimdigger, never to old to learn! I had never even heard the term before. Kelley

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
They were sometimes filled w/ confetti, smoke, ribbons, sawdust, and (the best I've heard) feathers. The contents were introduced to simulate or varify that the pigeon/target was shot or engaged. Opposite of most bottles, clear and aqua are the most valuable ones, because they were hard to see against the sky. Earlier target balls were usually unembossed. Patterns of embossment (diamond shaped, etc.), company names, and pictures were later added to balls. This was so they would break easier, even with a glancing shot or near miss.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks Meech. I can see why they would be so rare. Low survival rate I would imagine. Thanks again guys, I hope I'm learning something new on the day I die. (Other than how to die) Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter