Identification Needed Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Semar

Reaction score
I've been told this is an Opium bottle, 2 1/2"; but from what I've read Opium was a gooey substance that probably wouldn't need a bottle unless it was a liquid decoction.
Is anyone familiar with this bottle; it has a sheared lip.
Semar

Attachments

• opium.jpg
    opium.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 64

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I've been told this is an Opium bottle, 2 1/2"; but from what I've read Opium was a gooey substance that probably wouldn't need a bottle unless it was a liquid decoction.
Is anyone familiar with this bottle; it has a sheared lip.
Semar
Here in Hawaii, we sometimes find ornate opium or pill bottles. It may have also been a snuff bottle or something else. It's a mystery for sure. Considering it's size and appearance, I can't imagine it being anything else.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Every small East Asian bottle gets referred to as an "opium bottle" sometimes, but it's just one of those persistent myths that as far as I know has no truth behind it (except maybe in the sense that a lot of western patent meds could be considered "opium bottles"). Like you say, opium is a thick tarry substance and this sort of bottle is about the worst imaginable container for it. Every credible historic source I've seen says that opium came in cans.

As far as I know most of the small Chinese bottles are meds, this design I'm not familiar with though. I'm actually not even sure it's an Asian bottle. I usually associate those burst lip bottles with the UK, whereas the Chinese and Japanese bottles I'm familiar with were tooled, applied, or had a type of sheared top which left the lip totally flat that I've never seen on western bottles. I wonder if this could be some sort of cheap British perfume bottle with an orientalist motif? Not sure if they used burst tops on even the cheapest perfume bottles though.

Semar

Reaction score
Hi CanadianBottles. :)
It was the orientalist motif that made me think it might be from Asia. Thanks for your input on the subject.
The mystery continues.

timeandabottle

Reaction score
You can do a google search for drawing a Chinese character using your mouse and if you do a good enough job, it does a translate to English for you. This one looks simple enough so I bet it would work for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen