Bizarre base marking/pontil combo on import black glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nickneff

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been getting a bit more into collecting again and I remembered this odd example I picked up several years ago and never made a thread on. It's a black glass ale/port/whatever imported piece from the 1850's-70's with a typical 3-piece mold and is perhaps a bit wider than most I've seen. What makes it odd is the base, which has a "+" shaped marking with a pontil scar right on top of it. It's obvious to me that the marking was something on the baseplate and not a sort of "branding" from the pontil; I've seen plenty of import black glass bottles with pontils and plenty with plus or X-shaped base markings but never both at the same time. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? View attachment 217536View attachment 217537

Nickneff

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been getting a bit more into collecting again and I remembered this odd example I picked up several years ago and never made a thread on. It's a black glass ale/port/whatever imported piece from the 1850's-70's with a typical 3-piece mold and is perhaps a bit wider than most I've seen. What makes it odd is the base, which has a "+" shaped marking with a pontil scar right on top of it. It's obvious to me that the marking was something on the baseplate and not a sort of "branding" from the pontil; I've seen plenty of import black glass bottles with pontils and plenty with plus or X-shaped base markings but never both at the same time. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? View attachment 217536View attachment 217537
I think that's a turn mold. it is not a pontil scar. a pontil is very sharp. its where the guy was blowing the bottle in the mold .when he's done he breaks off the blow rod he uses to blow it .thats. What makes a pontil scar. But that bottle is a turn mold bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi