BLACKENED MAPLE SYRUP BOTTLE? HELP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

s3iinc

Reaction score
My father found this bottle in an old barn in rural California in the early 1960's. It looked then the same as it does now: Black. To me it looks like an old maple syrup bottle, but I could be wrong. I broke it about 30 years ago and glued the pieces back, which still hold. Could someone please tell me more about it and if it is worth anything? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
Thanks, Susan

Kh17439.jpg

Attachments

• Kh17439.jpg
    Kh17439.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 77

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Susan...

Welcome to the forum!

It's a scroll whiskey flask... Not sure of the McKearin number... Most seem to have been pontiled, dating them to around the mid 19th century, or possibly earlier... Can you give us a photo of the base?

Had it not been broken, it could have been worth some money...

Nice flask!

Ron

s3iinc

Reaction score
Wow, Ron:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Here's a photo of the base. Does it still have value? I think it is repairable because there are no missing pieces. I can send you a close up of the crack, if it's worth the effort.
Best regards,
Susan

Db84947.jpg

Attachments

• Db84947.jpg
    Db84947.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 68

bearswede

Reaction score
It looks to me to be an iron pontil... If you can get a picture of the damage, that'd be great... As to monetary value, that would depend: If the particular piece is highly sought after and the damage is minimal, your bottle would still be saleable... As far as repair goes, you have probably already done what could be done...

Ron

s3iinc

Reaction score
Hi Ron:
You are so nice. Thank you for all the help. Here's a photo of the crack (front and back). It looks like I broke the neck off. The yellow stuff in the crack is wax. I guess I was using it as a candle holder. Shame on me. Where on the web would you suggest I try to sell it? I ran a search on Ebay and nothing under "scroll whiskey flask" showed up as a comparison.
I did find them on www.absenteeauctions.com, but I don't know anything about that site, do you?
Again thanks, Ron.
Susan

Pn35211.jpg

Attachments

• Pn35211.jpg
    Pn35211.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 70

bearswede

Reaction score
Susan...

There are actually 6 items currently on ebay... Go to collectibles>bottles & insulators>bottles>antique(pre-1900)

Type in the search box: scroll flask

You might want to get an expert appraisal and professional repair before you try to sell it...

Ron

s3iinc

Reaction score
Hi Ron:
Do you really think I should get it repaired and appraised? Is it that old and valuable?
Any suggestions on who to repair it and/or appraise it?
I can't believe I found you...
Susan

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Susan ,
It's hard to determine what mold variant your scroll flask is from your pics . They made a lot of different variants. Does it have any markings ( words ) embossed on it ? And if you look thru it at a bright light or the sun.....is it a dense Olive Green or dense Red Amber ? Or what color ?
And can you tell if it is a Quart or pint size ?
Is the neck the only place you broke it ? Could have been a costly break, because it is a scarce coloration . These flask are most comonly seen in Aqua....But because it is such a dense color it could be repaired fairly easily and would have some monetary value for display purposes. But professional repairs are costly.
Brian

kastoo

Reaction score
Cool...many diggers hope to find these...you always could put it on Ebay if you want to sell it and see what shakes...not sure but think the good ones start at 300 bucks...I never saw one that dark of course I'm no expert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85