BLACKENED MAPLE SYRUP BOTTLE? HELP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

s3iinc

Reaction score
Eureka! I held my black bottle up to the light and it is definitely olive green! It never occurred to me to do that all these years. I cannot find any lettering unless you need a microscope to see it, it's not there. Can someone please now tell me who made it, maybe?

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi ,
Lobey , I'm not doubting you as Flasks are not my field and you may be correct. I just thought with that coloration , lip treatment , pint size , and iron pontil that it might be a GIX 10a. I don't have a McKEARINS ....does any of the forum members have one ?
Lobey is correct.....professional repairs are costly. But it would be a nice display piece or filler until a mint example came along !!!
Brian

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Just stumbled on this site while checking out info on my flask's. I just happend to see a bottle that looks quite similar to yours... Scroll down on the link it is #7 Taz www.antiquebottles.com/flask/fame.html

s3iinc

Reaction score
THANKS ALL OF YOU! Your forum is such a treasure of information and help. You guys are so savvy.

Thanks, Taz. I checked out that site and two of the bottles look like mine. And what a good idea to list it on Ebay with an outrageous reserve to see how high it goes. Should I mention the damage or not. If not, it might give me an idea of how high I should go for the repair.

I just ordered the McKearins from my local library. It should be here in a few days. I'll keep you posted when I can make a match.

Also, Brian. I held it to my cheek and it's cold.

Lobeycat. No more candles. It's wrapped in bubblewrap and stored in my sweater drawer! Thanks for the repair link.

Regards, Susan

appliedlips

Reaction score
Susan,

Brian is right,you have a G IX-10a.Would sell in the $1200-$1500 range if mint.As is maybe $100.Even if you are to get it repaired will never be worth anything near the mint price,maybe $300.It would be worth getting repaired as it is an awesome bottle,that still would look good in any collection.Doug

s3iinc

Reaction score
Wow. That's totally depressing news. Thanks, Doug. You've made my weekend...

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Don't get depressed ..... Well look at it this way Susan......It's only worth a 100.00 , if that much " as is ". But only a few days ago it was just an old worthless candle holder !!!!
Brian

bearswede

Reaction score
It's easy to get down about stuff like this, but imagine the feeling a person would get if they recognized some piece they sold at a garage sale for $5 being appraised on Antiques' Roadshow for $10,000!!!

Yikes!!!

s3iinc

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yes, I know it's all a matter of perspective. I'm just kicking myself for breaking such a valuable artifact. I'm probably going to list it on Ebay and see what I can get for it. Maybe a dealer like you guys will pick it up who will enjoy it and have some appreciation for it, cracked and all...
Thanks again, guys. Funny, you've got me looking for old bottles everywhere I go.
Regards,
Susan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85