blue Hayward's hutch

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Haywards-S-J-Simons-Soda-Works-Bottle-/220590906711?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335c3e1d57

This is another one of those unique examples in a rare color.

5B8649545DF34AE9A77390EF2B6ECD73.jpg

Attachments

• 5B8649545DF34AE9A77390EF2B6ECD73.jpg
    5B8649545DF34AE9A77390EF2B6ECD73.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 74

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Holabird-Kagin Americana has had quite a few California bottles on eBay lately. Their lack of multiple pictures along with the description simply reading "see picture" leaves a lot to be desired. Noticed their selling has not been very brisk either as many are re-listed...at the same selling price. Guess all that information tells you I have been watching closely!

Lordbud

Reaction score
with the description simply reading "see picture" leaves a lot to be desired.

Barbara I've noticed the same things and agree completely. They will even mention a chip without any details as to size or an extra picture either. In my opinion their high opening bids don't accurately reflect the rarity -- or lack thereof -- of the given bottle in many of their offerings.

In today's market a low starting bid with a modest reserve might result in some buyer interest where none has been apparent so far. I'm watching a couple of "hkamericana"s hutches but the opening bids are what I'd expect to pay at market retail where I could examine the bottle in my hands at a bottle show and make an offer.

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Hey Jason...did you see that they actually LOWERED the price of some relisted bottles!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that they had actually lowered some prices. That beautiful Hayward's went for the minimum bid of $25.00 which is less than an aqua example would usually bring. That one definitely fell off some soda collectors' collective radar there. And the ultra-rare Somps & Herve mugbase hutch went for minimum bid of $50.00...whereas HK's offering of the much commoner Golden West Soda Works mugbase hutch is already up to $63.50. Go figure...

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Jason! Did you get any of these hutches that closed recently? I had hoped to get the Lodi one, but was hesitant to bid any higher due to their sketchy descriptions....

Barbara

epackage

Reaction score

Lordbud

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BarbaraInCalif

Jason! Did you get any of these hutches that closed recently? I had hoped to get the Lodi one, but was hesitant to bid any higher due to their sketchy descriptions....

Barbara

Because my "huge" tax return has been delayed by the IRS, and I had to borrow against my refund to go to the Golden Gate show, I didn't bid on any of their hutches. I would have bid on the Somps & Herve but I wasn't online when the auction closed. I only have computer access at limited times and frankly I forgot the darn S&H hutch was about to end. Winning bidder got it for a very reasonable price of $50 without any competing bids.

Years ago a fellow collector decided to sell off all his SF sodas, blob, hutch etc. and I managed to pick up quite a few different examples he'd diligently upgraded over the course of several years. He and his father sold at every California and Nevada show and were constantly on the lookout for upgrades and bottles for their collector friends. Those were the good old days.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese