Worlds Rarest Cobalt Blue Hutch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Picked up this super rare Hutch, as far as I know, only known G. Norris Cobalt Blue Hutch with a tombstone slug plate? Anybody else ever see one before? The slug plate faint & hard to see. Leon.
GNorrisTombstone5.JPG
GNorrisTombstoneSligPlate4.JPG
GNorrisTombstoneCloseUp.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
My other Tombstone. This other Tombstone saying GEO NORRIS instead of just G. Norris is also very rare. The G. NORRIS tombstone first I ever seen & I've seen & dug lots of Norris Hutchs. This seems to possibly be a transition hutch from when they switched from 1870's squats to 1880's hutches. the transition period would of been around 1879. Leon.

2NorrisTombstones.JPG
NorrisTransition.JPG
BlueHutchCabnitCloseUp.JPG

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Very cool bottle but I'm pretty skeptical of it being a true hutch. The lip and shoulder are all wrong. You mentioned transitional, but the hutchinson style was patented, so there was no gradual transition. The style was created and everything else I would argue is just various forms of squats. If a large number of them were dug with hutch stoppers I'm sure an argument could be made, but I would also look for the telltale signs of rust under the blob from a lightning style stopper or other wire bail. From the pictures that appears to be what I am seeing.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've found similar bottles with the longer neck in privies with intact hutch stoppers. there is some rust around neck so possibly had another stopper. I wouldn't be surprised if this longer neck bottle was reused with both type of stoppers? Leon.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Very cool bottle but I'm pretty skeptical of it being a true hutch. The lip and shoulder are all wrong. You mentioned transitional, but the hutchinson style was patented, so there was no gradual transition. The style was created and everything else I would argue is just various forms of squats. If a large number of them were dug with hutch stoppers I'm sure an argument could be made, but I would also look for the telltale signs of rust under the blob from a lightning style stopper or other wire bail. From the pictures that appears to be what I am seeing.

Whats your opinion on Bottles that look exactly like a Gravitating stopper bottle but do not say Mathews Gravitating Stopper on bottom & are found/dug with intact hutchinson spring stoppers? Leon.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting thing I noticed. every Norris Squat from 1870's will say G. Norris or C. Norris on one side & City Bottling works on the other side. But when they switched to Hutchinson Style Bottles in either 1879 or earlier 1880's the hutch''s will all say G.Norris & City Bottling works all on the same side & nothing on the back. as can be seen in my one pic above. it seems to be a way to tell the 2 apart? Leon.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here it is before I cleaned it up, was pretty sick/rough looking. It does has some slight rust stain around top so not sure if it had another type of stopper in it. but not sure if the rust came from being in a dump & being dump dug? Leon.

P.S. I did not tumble it.

P1040545.JPG
P1040546.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen