Blue Sandwhich Acanthus Pontil cologne Am I missing something?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearfan

Reaction score
Hey all,
I listed this bottle on ebay first with a reserve. over 60 people watched the bottle but it still never met reserve and only went to $835.00. I relisted it for a buy it now for $2500.00 with best offers accepted. I have only received 1 offer for the bottle. I would have thought the offers would be pouring in, but there is nothing. Am I misrepresenting it, is the Title wrong? I know the bottle is authentic because a trusted source from this board has held the bottle in his hands and told the owner it was worth 2000.00-$2400.00. I even spoke to him myself after listing it the first time and he said it was well worth it. So after all this, what am I doing wrong? is there something wrong with the bottle that is keeping the bidding down or is it the right buyer just has not come along? Would you list it differently? Any input would be much appricated. the auction is here: Blue Pontil Cologne Thanks for the Help.
JOHN
bludag8838.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I hate to use Kovels as a reference but the same one is listed (w/pic) for $1595.00 in the 12th edition. I know it doesn't mean much but they're usually high. If people know that and see it in the book they may just go by that and not go higher. I'm not even going to try to give an appraisal. I'm just trying to give a possible senario.

bearfan

Reaction score
I saw the same bottle on another website sold through an auction house that went for $2300.00 I never saw the Kovel book price. I do not think she is even expecting that high of a price, but i can not even take offers to her because they are just not coming in, and was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what I am doing wrong if anything, I mean really, what other ebay auction are you going to see 50 pictures of a bottle? LOL Thanks for the Information.
JOHN

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi John -
First of all, in my opinion, and I just listed some items, the summer is the worst time to list on eBay. Many are away, vacationing and such. Usually, the better collectibles will do well though, even in the summer months, but not nearly as high as they would, for example just before Christmas.

I follow early colognes and their prices closely and have for some time. Examples like the one you're offering, lately are priced and selling between $800 - $1200. I saw one at the Baltimore Show (the largest show) too, in February, that was priced at $1200. Now, your auction house quote is not unheard of, because they are usually very inflated.

I'm quite busy today, but I'll try to check my listings and records on these soon. There was one on eBay within the last year or so. From memory only (not at all accurate), I think it sold in the $1200 range.

My thoughts for now, and I'll try to reply back here soon. Best of luck w/ your offers.

woody

Reaction score
Meech is right, John.
It may not be the best time to sell it on eBay.
I'm the one who told the owner what it is worth from previous auctions listing.
I can attest that the bottle is genuine and what it is described as being.
She should be satisfied for what she gets for it, considering she didn't pay much, if anything for it.
We'd all like to get the big bucks when it comes to auctions, but it always doesn't work out that way.

How did she do on the other mineral water bottles???

bearfan

Reaction score
Hey Woddy and Meech,
I was hoping you would reply to this woody, I did not want to use your name without permission. I have tried to explain "Appraisal Value" and actual "Auction Value" to her, saying sometimes you may get more and sometimes you may get less. She is stuck on that figure you gave her. She did very well on the Mineral bottle, it sold for $486.00. She was very happy with that. That is why i said to you at your store you could have told her the cologne was worth $10.00, it would have made my life much easier LOL. I explained to her that I have even taken a loss on some things I bought, I am sure some of you remember what brought me to these boards a few years ago, my apothecary poison that caused such a stir and I lost my shirt on it (precentage wise) She is doing well on everything else. I guess if it does not sell I will just throw it in my store hoping someone will find it. It is funny how people get something for nothing (she got the bottle for free) and want top dollar when they go to sell it. I had one customer who bought a mirror for a dollar at a yard sale. he got it home and took the back off. In the back he found a beautiful 1850 Railroad broadside that I listed for him. He asked me what he could get for it and I told him to put a ridiculous reserve on it and see where it goes. He had me put $4000.00 on it. The auction went to $3500.00. The high bidder e-mailed asking what the reserve was and I told him $4000.00. The High bidder said he would pay it. To my disbelief, the owner said "Well if they will pay $4000.00 today, they will Pay $8000.00 later...so he did not sell it. a Year later he brings it back to me and sold it for $3200.00. Meech, a cologne just like this one recently sold on ebay for $1500.00. I do believe Auction House Prices are a bit inflated. I want her to do well, but trying to explain how ebay works with respect to reserve and high starting prices is very difficult. She is a sweet lady, and I guess if she holds the ball she can bounce it for as long as she wants without passing it to anyone if she so chooses. We shall see what happens. Thanks for the infor guys.
JOHN

earlyglass

Reaction score
Hi John,

I put an offer in on the piece that I thought was a fair one, $1050. If she reconsiders her "rock-bottom price", please keep me in mind. Sure these colognes are very rare, but prices vary considerably depending who is chasing them at that time. It is basically the same for most of this stuff, however, some pieces don't have as much volitility. I would be interested in hearing about any other items that you have for sale as well.

Quick question about the bottle... it looks like there is a little crazing in the neck area. Are there any issues or cracks coming from this area?

Well, good luck with the bottle. As was mentioned earlier, winter time on Ebay, or a traditional auction house may be your best bet with this bottle, but there are never any guarantees! Well, good luck! Mike

bearfan

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
Woody has seen the bottle and he would better be able to tell you what those lines are in the neck (I think). I do know there are no chips or cracks on the bottle. I would sell it for $1050.00, but like woody says, all she sees are dollars signs. She does not "Need" to sell it so she can wait until someone comes along with the right offer. I declined your offer on my own but brought it up to her this morning and I got " Oh no, we can't sell it for that" so there you are. Sorry Mike, she won't budge.
JOHN

earlyglass

Reaction score
That's OK, John, I understand.

I am also from NH, and would love to see this bottle and any others that might be for sale. Are there other good ones? I am looking primarily for good historical flasks, colored pontilled meds, and colored freeblown glass.

Thanks,
Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology