Boker's bitters bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amjaca

Reaction score
I am looking for someone to answer a question for me regarding a bitters bottle I have.
I have a ladies leg BOKER'S BITTERS bottle. It stands approx. 13" tall. It has labels on it (not in perfect condition of course), there is a date of 1853 on it and most importantly it still has half of it's contents! It also has a "War Revenue Act of 1918" sticker on the back of the bottle. The cork is not in the best condition and if you hold it upside down it will occasionally drip the bitters liquid. It has quite a pungent aroma!
Does anyone have any information regarding this particular brand? It's value? Also if I decide to list it on Ebay or sell it outright, how would I ship it, since it would leak?
I purchased a huge collection of bottles from an estate sale. I have sold a lot on Ebay and still have quite a few. I can usually search Ebay for an average value and list them accordingly but I have yet to come across a Boker's, especially with contents! I've even checked www.kovels.com and they don't even list one.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

For some reason I am unable to upload a picture however I have 9 pictures of this particular bottle. If anyone is interested please email me at: jfbrown@cox.net and I'll be happy to email them to you.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi amjaca, for what it's worth, Boker Bitter's figured very prominantly in the creation of the first Martini. The 'Father' of Coctails' - Jerry Thomas, lists Boker's in his book of coctail recipes. In the late 1800's. Do a google search for Boker Bitters.[;)]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum amjaca !
Your Boker's is listed in Ring & Ham's Bitters Bottle Book as B 138 L BOKER'S STOMACH BITTERS / Imported by J.F. & J. Boker New York / 12 1/2" x 3 1/4" ( 5 1/4" ) Round Lady's Leg , Amber & Green ARM / Label : Neck - manufactured solely by L. Funke Jr. , New York . Successor to John G. & J. Boker No.78 John Street , P.O. Box 1029 , New York.
New York City Directory 1863-64 and 1898
Harper's Weekly 1860-1900
Advertised as the oldest and best Stomach Bitters known. Unequalled for their medicinal properties and their fineness as a cordial.
Drug Catalogs : 1871 Schieffelin , 1872 F&F , 1874 VS&R , 1876-7 , 1880 , 1885 , and 1892 Goodwin , 1887 MP . 1888 RS, 1894 M&R
There is also a smaller variant listed : B 139 L ....... 9 1/2" x 2 3/4" (4 1/4")
When you sell your bottle .... you might ask the buyer if they want you to dump the contents , especially if it's leaking. I personally don't think that the contents add to the value of the bottle like the original label would . A lot of these old contents could be dangerous and toxic. But if your buyer insists on the contents......then wax is a good idea as Brad S. suggested in the previous post. Hope this helps , Brian

amjaca

Reaction score
Thanks to all the valuable assistance with my Boker's bottle dilemma. I decided to list it on Ebay and leave it up to the winner to tell me what to do.
This is a wonderful forum, I appreciate the kind welcome into the bottle sickness...errrrr, collecting.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide