bottle auction website

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted anything. However, I was wondering if I could get some input. I've been working on an auction website with a very similar layout to ebay. It is going to be strictly dedicated to bottles of all types and age! The categories will break down into: type of bottle>State. The reason I decided to start working on a site like this is because I'm tired of the fees ebay charges me for selling a few occasional milk bottles. I recently sold a 200 dollar milk bottle and I ended up paying about 30 dollars in fees. That is robbery! Anyhow, I guess I was wondering what all of you thought? Would it be something you'd consider using? I hope to have it up soon for everyone to see.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
its been tried a several times. I think people often underestimate the effort needed.
At one time I even offered free listing space on my web site. Problem is getting people to use it.
Not trying to discurage you, just warning its a lot of work.
I salute anyone who attempts it.
It may be better to compete with ebay stores model rather than their auctions. I think they do a worse job implementing their stores and stores would be a good way for people to present their bottles for sale. Sort of an online bottle show.
There already exists ... http://www.bottleshow.com but its mostly higher end bottles. There may be a niche for low to medium end bottles with much lower listing cost (free would be best)

georgeoj

Reaction score
I would consider any good alternative to ebay. It is a toss up for me as to which is more objectionable about ebay:
very high fees, fakes are prevalent and there is no interest in controlling them, sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers. Ebay was a good experience years ago but it has been 'improved' (revenue enhanced) way too many times.

I will give your website a try as soon as you get it going.

George

CoachJade

Reaction score
have been selling inks on Ebay for a family friend since this fall. I have bought a lot on Ebay but was disgusted at the fees sellers pay. Some of the inks are lower end ones and may only be worth a few dollars and may be great for a new collector. However it's NUTS as to the fees i'd pay for an item to sell for $2.00. The person that I am selling for would make very little. I would be interested in learning more. :)

splante

Reaction score
I came across this one once, but dont know how trustworthy it is so I wouldnt join..looks like ebay but no fees if you pay for a lifetime membership????hmmm

http://us.ebid.net/

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Yes I've seen that site. Unfortunately not many bottles available for sale there.=( There is a nice gin bottle for sale, although price is a bit high.

http://www.bottleshow.com/%28S%28dhaqrk554n0int2tnt1oxljo%29%29/showitem.aspx?guid=b8670f6b5d424b5c9635b12eb1ebd9c8

ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

its been tried a several times. I think people often underestimate the effort needed.
At one time I even offered free listing space on my web site. Problem is getting people to use it.
Not trying to discurage you, just warning its a lot of work.
I salute anyone who attempts it.
It may be better to compete with ebay stores model rather than their auctions. I think they do a worse job implementing their stores and stores would be a good way for people to present their bottles for sale. Sort of an online bottle show.
There already exists ... http://www.bottleshow.com but its mostly higher end bottles. There may be a niche for low to medium end bottles with much lower listing cost (free would be best)

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Oh, believe me I've had my fair share of problems since I first started working on it! My goal is to create something that is free or close to it. Maybe some very minimal fees to cover hosting. As you said though Gunther, problem is getting people to use it. I'd say that is the hardest part...however, even if a small group of people started using it then maybe the word would get out. Feebay is ruining a good hobby and many others by charging outrageous amounts for selling. I'm waiting for the time to come when there is a "buyers" fee. I will keep everyone updated though. Thanks for the input.

TwistedTea12

Reaction score
Try this site... it's alot like ebay but you make 4 Month Fixed Price Listings and have a "Store" for .10 Cent a post then they charge around 3% Final Value Fee so.. not as bad as ebay ... not really anyways..

ETSY

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TwistedTea12

Try this site... it's alot like ebay but you make 4 Month Fixed Price Listings and have a "Store" for .10 Cent a post then they charge around 3% Final Value Fee so.. not as bad as ebay ... not really anyways..

ETSY
I agree etsy is look nice!! anybody ever bought bottles from there? How is it?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229