bottle books

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwe79405

Reaction score
ok guys i need some help...im new at this and it actually started because my mother found an old bottle she thought i might like and its turning into more of an obsession than a hobby so i would like some opinions on what books i should get....

thanks in advance

BARQS19

Reaction score
If you want to look something up I always look at ebay under the completed items section, the books, sometimes have stuff jacked way up or too low.
Robert
BARQS19

Pontiled

Reaction score
It all depends on how much information you want, the time frame, etc. My book (one of many) is The Collector's Guide to Civil War Period Bottles and Jars -- Third Edition. It is a large paperback (8-1/2" X 11") that covers the bottles found during that period (1861 - 1865). It has individual chapters by category and prices for each bottle. It has photographs and illustrations throughout.

I make this book available to people here on the Forum at $16.00 plus either $2.00 for Media Mail or $4.00 for Priority Mail (the choice is yours). That's a savings from the cover price.

If you are interested, contact me at RELICSHOP@NCOL.NET .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Try and decide if there is a particular catagory of bottles you want to collect, medicines, inks, whiskey, milk, fruit jars,poisons, etc etc.
If you can narrow it down , makes it a bit easier to pick books.
If you are digging bottles, there's not telling what you will find. In that case just accumulate all the bottle books you can find.
There are a lot of good bottle web sites with info and they are free, free , free...did I say free?

flasherr

Reaction score
id like to know of a good book on medicines. Sometimes i find some but dont know what is common and what isnt
Brian

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Right now Digger O'dell's medicine collectors guide is pretty good for higher end medicines. Jim Holsts pontil medicines on CDROM is very comprehensive, but just pontil medicines of course. I'm getting ready to publish a medicine price guide that will intentionally include a lot of the low end medicines that arent covered in the other books I've seen. Kovel's and Megura's general guides have quite a few medicines (including some more common ones) but I find thier prices to be kind of erratic.

flasherr

Reaction score
Let me know when your book is published. I like to buy books from the board members. I have bought Mike Russell's Civil war bottles book. That is not my particular interest in bottles but im glad I got it. Lots of details and pictures in it. he did a nice job on it and I even got it signed so someday when we are both dead it will sell for big money lol.

Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
RWE...check out this website for books:

http://www.antiquebottles.com/books.html

trussin

Reaction score
I find this forum easier to use than any other resorce. Books can be dated as suggested earlier. If you want to know what collectors would pay for your bottle come here and ask a couple of thousand of us. Joe b

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide