Bottle digging ethics?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebabe07

Reaction score
Rick sounds like you got a good friend. I think if you introduce someone to a digging spot they should not go back without your permission. I also think if they do they are a low life snake. They can use anything as an excuse but its still wrong. With ethics like that they have no friends and that is sad. I also think it will catch up with them in time because I write them off as a person for life.

bottlebabe07

Reaction score
I am going to dig a pit in the morning with a new digger I hope its a good day. Thanks.

epgorge

Reaction score
I have never dug with anyone. I have done it alone for many years. I use to bring my son along when he was young, back when he was still thinking with his big head.

Joel

epgorge

Reaction score
aYup, funny, but sad. In more ways than one.[;)]
Joel

logueb

Reaction score
Like Joel, I dig alone. I have dug in dumps where everybody's telling their friends who tell their friends. You get the picture. I once had a digging partner and we had a blast. Unfortunately he got out of digging bottles and went into depression glass. Since then its just been me. The wife and kids (both grown) never got into bottles. The son used to go some. It would be great to have adigging partner again, but I don't know any that I would trust.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hmmmm, I know where you're coming from...lost a wonderful 1870~1900 dump that way, back in the eighties....(It's STILL closed) we used to go in and dig discreetly and professionaly,...came back one day to huge multiple posted signs and crater like holes w/ ladders going down them...found alot of decent bottles smashed as well (money diggers) I've never thought too much of that practice either. (people smashing common/lesser bottles)..It makes me cringe... Joe

Jim

Reaction score
I'm with you there, Joe. Fortunately, I have never had a dump destroyed or been kicked out because idiots trashed a place. I was lucky to learn early not to tell a lot of people. There's no reason to bust things up and make a hell of a mess. I like to leave places better than I found them if possible.

I did smash a common one time out of pure disgust. It was a CLOROX bottle that had broken a nice milk bottle from my home street! The milk was lying right on top of the Clorox, broken in the hole. I could have cried, so I had to "avenge" the milk by "killing" the Clorox [:D]. ~Jim

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hey Jim....Yeah,.....clorox, well someday someone'll want em', I guess, but I'm talking about atwood's and pepto~m~g's, bromos and rumfords even...I figure if they survived that long buried,...they probably deserve to live on in someones window....[&:] Your home STREET? I'd say that clorox had to die too...[:mad:]

Jim

Reaction score
Yes sir, my home street..Highland Avenue Dairy. One of the toughest Mifflin County milk bottles to find. I have the half-pint, but this was a big, beautiful quart [:mad:]. Although I never would sell it, it would have been a $300-400 bottle around here.

What kind of (expletive deleted) jerk would smash a Rumford?!? Common, yes, but a beautiful bottle. Even the BIM Bromos have some character and a nice color. I'm glad most of us have a little more appreciation than that [&o]. ~Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause