Bottle display attacked by wild animals...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fishnuts

Reaction score
I have to preface this by passing on to you that I have broken soda bottles every conceivable way:dropped, tipped, thrown, shot, stepped on, bad packing, clumsy or in a hurry table set-up/ takedown, smashed in the trunk, dropped something on top of, filled bottle frozen and exploded. And many more that I have tried to forget...like the time, right out of a Rube Goldberg machine...I unpacked a bottle and set it aside. Unpacking a second bottle from the same parcel my right hand(my stroke side) simply dropped the still wrapped bottle. I lunged for it and caught it! Just as it, and my hand, hit and tipped over a box. Which fell and then tipped the freshly unwrapped bottle. Which then, in slow motion, hit the floor. And bounced! Intact! Then it hit the floor again and broke into about 20 major pieces.

Last weekend, awaiting the arrival of my grandchildren I noticed a disturbance with some racket. I didn't know what it was but it didn't sound good. And it wasn't. Many of my embossed/deco are outside in a (partially completed) screen-in porch. I'll post that photo shortly, back to the incident.
There were bottles smashed at the foot of the shelf! Six altogether. The Baseball deco being the chief among them. What I knew as soon as I saw it...plus the sounds I heard prior to the discovery is this crazy conclusion. A squirrel. Yes, a squirrel ran up one side of the shelf, across the top and down the other side. I built these shelves especially for their 'outdoor' conditions...I canted each shelf back by 9 degrees so all the bottles tilt back into the wall. I figured that'd help in windy conditions. I squeezed the shelf clearances so many of the bottle fit tightly hoping to insure that heavy wagging dog tails (times dwo dogs who can unseat fixed objects with their tails) don't dislodge a bottle.

I never, ever, however, thought to protect my display from squirrels and raccoons.
You broke some of your sodas any more painfully or ridiculously, I'm so sorry. Really. I feel your pain.
But it would be funny if you shared.

Enclosed photo shows the new look display.

78DFB8CA8BCF4196B6A73E4DAF337544.jpg

Attachments

• 78DFB8CA8BCF4196B6A73E4DAF337544.jpg
    78DFB8CA8BCF4196B6A73E4DAF337544.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 72

fishnuts

Reaction score
Here's the majority of the shelf.
As you can see, I have now installed the strapping you see in the photo.
I hate that it is in the way, although it was about as unobtrusive as I could find.
My first though was plexiglass strips and would still be my first choice but it was just too costly and I have few tools wtih which to work (cut, drill, edge, etc.) plex. These pieces are aluminum screen door extrusions and are very still, easily hold their own weight and very strong in this application.

Squirrel proof your outdoor display!

986DE2C1CD7241C891A355B9B26503EB.jpg

Attachments

• 986DE2C1CD7241C891A355B9B26503EB.jpg
    986DE2C1CD7241C891A355B9B26503EB.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 79

epackage

Reaction score
Strapping looks like crap to be honest, how about using monofilament fishing line......sorry to be so blunt...

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
I would use fishing string about 2 inches from top and bottom of each shelf. . .that would keep them from falling over and rolling off as well. Nice display tho!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Grant,

Be glad it wasn't a gang of giant wombats...

851one_250.jpg

fishnuts

Reaction score
Yeah, epackage, it does look crappy. Like I said, lath sized strips of .375" plexiglass would be ideal. All I need are the high speed power tools to fabricate.
The Home Depot had nothing else the length as I needed, that was both strong enough and resiliently stiff. I need the stiffness to resist the possibility of several bottles trying to leave the display at the same time...under animal extremes.
Fishing line isn't nearly as strong or stable. The anchoring is problematic...wrap around a screw or nail?

I am also sure that I'll probably bite the bullet one day and get the plex retainers. This time I had to knee jerk a quick fix so it (the crashing and the breaking) doesn't happen again.

The next day I had to get my dog out of a tree.
No joke.

epackage

Reaction score
People catch 1000lb. fish on fishing line, it can be extremely strong...either way I wish you the best and I hope the creatures stay in their place as do your bottles...Jim[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4