Bottle Seal Co Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tootenheimer

Reaction score
Here is the one without the groove (there are two others like this one). The bottles measure 7.25" tall, if that means anything.

2274953B461A4C7984D8AC924AC26A77.jpg

Attachments

• 2274953B461A4C7984D8AC924AC26A77.jpg
    2274953B461A4C7984D8AC924AC26A77.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 61

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Hey Greg you are right I didn't think about them being steamers, good eye! The one I got for $8 bucks was a beer. Still nice bottles and the one is a puzzle like Red says. Was it done by accident or a variation of the Baltimore Loop Seal? Always great to find bottles in the walls of a house!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
If Henry (waskey) doesn't have one I bet he'd be interested in one of your doubles.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
You guys still haven't told me if there are vertical mold lines on the finishes.
If there isn't then the groove would have to be tooled - and I think the glass would have been to cool to be tooled with a groove like that unless it was applied hot glass.
With out anyone explaining the bottle more completely, I don't know if it is ABM or not At this point, I am beginning to think they are. RED Matthews

tootenheimer

Reaction score
Hey RED - pardon my ignorance, but not sure what "finishes" refers to...somewhat new to this all. There are vertical mold lines up the body of each bottle, but they end near the neck. The groove on this one bottle in not effected by the the mold lines.

I tried to capture it in this picture, but there is a scratch, impurity, line, hair - whatever, that runs over the groove. The impurity, for lack of a better term is present in the groove. Granted the scratch could have been put in the glass by something or somebody later on...I don't know. At any rate...hopefully the picture does a better job of explaining what I can't!

DE3E2F13528C42FD999B2D8672B27607.jpg

Attachments

• DE3E2F13528C42FD999B2D8672B27607.jpg
    DE3E2F13528C42FD999B2D8672B27607.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 64

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Ok Geoffrey, I guess I used a term (finish) because that is what we called the top of a bottle or jar that we made for the products containment. I worked in the industry for about 37 years. The finish was made in the neckring of an ABM. The top sealing surface was made in a cavity in a guidering that fitted in the neckring. There was a plunger that pushed through the guidering, that made a detent in the glass, that was the start of a cavity in the gob of glass that was blown up in the blank mold to create the parison form that was responsible for the distribution of even glass distribution in the final blow molded bottle.
Now there is a lot of new terms for all of you to chew on and read about. I guess I am in a bad mood today - no doubt it is because of watching the TV for several hours listening to all this sickness about the Boston problems. I am all twisted up in hard-headed reactions - according to my better half.
It is still a great hobby learning about how glass was made for a couple thousand years. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There are vertical mold lines up the body of each bottle, but they end near the neck. The groove on this one bottle in not effected by the the mold lines.
I'm guessing your referring to what most collectors simply refer to a "stress marks or lines" and not the actual two mold seams. If so, they are common and vary from bottle to bottle. Sometimes they can even "twist" a little. The tooling of the lip erases some of it. That's why you get rings around the circumference nearer the lip.
Sorry, I'm better at imagining it than I am explaining it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought I had an image saved of the tool. Think of a set of tongs or pliers where one jaw is shaped like the inside and the other like the outside. When the bottle is taken from the mold it's still a bit soft and stretches a little. That causes the lines. Then the tool is used to form the mouth. If the rest is still soft enough, the lines will twist, if not they stay vertical.
I hope that makes sense.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Eric, you are right on and make perfect sense, but Red is thinking of seam lines as in abm he mentions, which clearly this is not. It is an obvious slug plate embossing and HORIZONTAL tool marks on the lip finish are clearly defined in the pics. I would date as speculated, up to the crown top take-over. That's my nickel's worth. (price increased from two cents, cuz I'm worth it, damn it!) Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4