Bottle show insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brains

Reaction score
Got these at the mansfield botle show. Thanks to the man who sold me the columbia! It'll be the center piece of my power collection. Did anyone else here go the the show and take any pictures?

4D10544F41C449FE89CBD342D6DB5148.jpg

Attachments

• 4D10544F41C449FE89CBD342D6DB5148.jpg
    4D10544F41C449FE89CBD342D6DB5148.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 41

Brains

Reaction score
Most hemingray insulators made after the 1893 drip point patent have the patent on them, but after around the 1920's the patent fadded and most insulators were just embosed with Hemingray- (style number) Made in U.S.A.
But it is a nice one, the color and the embossing type (transition type) makes it a bit harder to find,

appliedlips

Reaction score
I was there on Friday only but didn't take pictures.The dinner was good once again,and hanging with friends even better.Found a couple of things but nothing I needed.Great insulators

aufishjr

Reaction score
Those are really great looking. Why is is that the '2' is embossed so differently. It looks like it was done differently than the other #'s. I have a few that I found with the same style of #2. Here's a picture. I appreciate any info....as that's always puzzled me. I found about 6 of these on an abandoned pole high up in the mountains here in Utah. There was one mine in this particular area that had power and luckily we found one pole buried under leaves and on top of a big rock outcrop that wasn't stripped of it's insulators. Thanks!
Steve
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/rockminer0/DSCF2235.jpg
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/rockminer0/DSCF2232.jpg

Brains

Reaction score
nice insulators! One of my favorites, the cd-280. Yours has the script embossing, they came with that and the prismic embossing. (normally big blocky letters)
Theres a million diferent 2 styles, it's interesting to see how many different ones there are. Your insulators were made around 1900, maybe late 1890 and i must say you are very lucky to have found those. I see them from time to time here in the city but i cant get them as they are in public.
The firstg insulator is a cd-280, you ca tell by the smaller profile, and the other larger one is a cd-281. I'm thinkin about lookin at these mines up in PA and New York, i've herd of some interesting things being found on lines that ran to mines.

aufishjr

Reaction score
Bryan,
Was that last post made about my insulators? You mentioned two different types..but actually they are the same. When I found them, I decided to keep the copper wire and wood on one of them. I felt really lucky to find these. I also found two smaller (telegraph) ones at the same time. I was thinking about the same time line. This particular mine, Santa Maria was being worked really heavy about 1904-1906. THANKS!!!
Steve

deer4x4

Reaction score
hey brains i havent forgot about my insulators i will get a picture of them all and post it to you those look neat the crazy mickey mouse looking see ya bob

Brains

Reaction score
yep, it was about your insulators.
The insulator with the wire on it is a cd-280 and i think the other is a cd-281 as the skirt should be slightly larger (by about 1/2 of an inch) and the embossing isnt listed for a cd-280. Or, maybe they are both cd-281's and i just cant tell but eather way, very nice. I'm glad you kept the wire on the one.
Thanks bob, i look forward to gettin some pictures of your insulators. The cable is a columbia type, on the tag it says it was found in apittsburg steel mill. The insulator is embossed "COLUMBIA" and is anice light blue color, typical of most oakmen made pieces. Most oakemn power insulators were made for electric railways and other things that would use large direct-current cables. So far, i have a cd-259 lt blue pakmen, now a cd-263 oakemn in light blue, so i need an oakmen made "JUMBO" type in light blue to complete the set.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75