Bottle?Vase?Art Glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LaidBackJack

Reaction score
I got this piece a few years ago at an estate sale. I don't know what to call it, or what category it fits in, so I'm posting it here where I'm sure it belongs at least as a post-1900 piece of glass. It's 9-3/4" tall and 3-1/2" diameter at the base. This is a considerable hunk of glass, it weighs 5-1/2 pounds. Clearly pontiled on the bottom. Looks Art Deco or something? Beautiful large geometric bubbles throughout. A greenish aqua at the bottom, with blue streaks down from the top. The hole at the top is only 1" but it opens out into a bit larger space inside. Still, this thing is almost like a solid blank of glass, except that it was blown, apparently. Whoever blew this thing must have had lungs of steel! I have some nice older Mexican blown bottles & art pieces, but this is a completely different type of piece. The glass is a superior quality, and it lacks the general crudity of the other ones. It's so perfect it almost looks molded, but there are no mold marks & it's pontiled. There is no marking anywhere on it. It's a big mystery to me? Anyone care to speculate what/where/when this things' story might be? Even just what I should call it....art glass? For all I know, it's a 10 year old K-mart sale item, but it is blown, & it's beautiful to me so I don't mind if it's something prosaic. I'd just like to get a clue. Thanks

Tr51103.jpg

David E

Reaction score
I think you are right on all points except it being a bottle. The Glass almost looks layered. Sometimes the artist name or intials can be found if you have a magnifying glass and look in nooks and cranies. I always supect if it's heavy it's crystal. But not always so as where you call the glass masive it would be hard to say. Art Glass often was made by blowers and called "the end of the day glass" I guess that was when they used up the bosse's extra glass and made someting to take home. Really hard to date unless looked at by an expert or you see a picture in a book. Real nice item and sometimes the mystery makes it even more enjoyable. Good luck

Dave

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie