bottle w/glass ball inside-info please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandbrook

Reaction score
I found what I thought to be an unusual bottle at an estate sale today. I don't know anything about bottles and would appreciate any info. It's about 8" tall and marked Strong & Co. of Romsey, light green color. There is fence or grate decoration on the front. Also marked on back Redpcarn Bros. Bottle Makers Barnsley.It has a glass ball inside the neck of the bottle with a ledge to keep the ball from going to the bottom. It looks to be a way to control the measurement when pouring. I looked around on the internet for info on this bottle but could not find anything like it. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IRISH

Reaction score
You have a Codd's patent aerated water bottle, they come in an endless range of different patent variations from the late 1870's to about 1920 in most places that used them (1950's in some places in Australia and still used in China and India).
They can be worth anything from a dollar to several thousand [;)] .

sandbrook

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the speedy replys. I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge . I have a ton of reading to do now that I know it's a Codd Stopper bottle. -sandbrook

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hello.... I started my bottling in the U.K where those Codd bottles mostly come from. Romsey is in Southern England near the port of Southampton--I went to school there. Codds were the bottle of choice in the U.k when it came to soda or mineral water. They were in use from approx 1870-1920, though didn't really catch on until the 80's. The kids used to love to get the marbles out of them, so we were always finding them with the tops broken off! When I moved over to the States, I was surprised to find that numerous U.S. companies had also used Codd bottles for their sodas,etc. They're quite a bit harder to find here and seem to have been used mostly in Pa and Hawaii.

John.

scout

Reaction score
I have a bottle found this past weekend that seems to have the remains of a stopper in it. Looking at the American Codd-stoppers at first look it resembles a Hutchinson Stopper, but I have to clean it better to be sure. It has Hane & Hulbuth, Nashville TN embossed on the sides. Any info on this type of stopper? or the bottle?

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Irish, you say they still use cods in China & India? I think I would like to get my hands on one of the new ones.

IRISH

Reaction score
Yep they still use them, I think most of them come out of vending machines also one of the famous hotels in Hong Kong (can't remember the name) still uses them too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology