BottleDig1's Bottle Cleaner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kim

Reaction score
Okay!
Considering I never pesent my bottles clean and tidy I am going to try this stuff out, I have some in the cuboard and I have decided to cease using it, will post a before and after. This bottle has been soaking for weeks and I still cannot get it clean.

BEFORE

He97190.jpg

Attachments

• He97190.jpg
    He97190.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 118

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Kim:
I always scrub my bottles with an old toothbrush when the crud is caked on like the one in your pic. But I always spray them inside and out with a garden hose before I try to clean them.
Listerine is not powerful enough to clean away stuff like that all by itself. If it was, the FDA would probably ban it. (They need to anyway [:D])

Hope this helps [:)]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Kim,
Can't be sure by your picture,but are the encrustations on your bottle coraline?They look like they could be and if they are,no,listerine would definately NOT effect them.A dilute muriatic acid dip(4:1 water to acid) will dissolve coral inside and out.Or a 4:1 bleach solution soak for about a week will soften it for easy manual removal.(Just give the bottle an 'indian burn',ie.twist in your hands in opposite directions simutaneously) Then I use an 'eggbeater' for the inside.(Mine is a lenth of fairly soft plastic with the last inch or two split,used as a bit in my dremel tool.The centrifugal force spreads the 'wings' after the bit is in the bottle to clean the stubborn stuff.Like those wire paint stripper drill attachments or plastic rod heads for a garden string trimmer.[;)]Works pretty good on sediment and contents stains too!Try it,I think it should work for you as it does for me.

KAT

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Kat, What a great idea using the Dremel that way.[:)] I have quite a selection of 'tools' in my cleaning arsenal and now you've presented another thanks[:)]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Norm, a word of caution with the dremel. If you use a wire brush, (I don't know about plastic) make sure you do it in SHORT intervals, or run a trickle stream of water on the area you are cleaning as the heat generated from the speed of the Dremel will surely crack the glass.[:eek:] Happy diggin, Kelley

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Thanks Kat, I figure I'll experiment first on some commons. I'm thinking I may make my own 'brush' using 18 - 22ga copper wire. I used it successfully this way by hand, can't wait to fire up my router-rooter![:D]

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
Wow! You guys are really surprising me with the way you clean bottles, very productively I would imagine. You come up with the best ideas, thanks for sharing them.
I am not sure what is cake on in the bottle I have shown but I have had it soaking for weeks, as you can see nothing happening. Does anybody know what this bottle is by the way? I thought it could be an oyster bottle with an old oyster stuck in there, lol. What ever it is it is not budging.
Thanks
Kim

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
I dont need to read to far in all the replies to see that some people like using or trying other methods of cleaning. Well if it works for you thats good, But acid dipping, do you realize that the vapors are released into the air, and if you have it around metals it will rust them, even if they are in the next room. your computor has metal inside it. I have muratic acid and it's in the next room. I only use it with a mixture of water and soap to clean bottles when they come out of the tumbler. and my comp, inside has rust from it. My son the computor guro, kinda told me this is the reason for the rust. anything metal with in 20 feet has rust, and it is from the vapors only...
I keep it caped and up and out of the way, and it still causes this. SO acid?? why?? Vinegar is a acid.
When your all done trying all the different ways and find out you still have stain,scratches and overall sickness, Give me a call or drop me a line. check out my home page for the results of a good tumbling..

rick kern

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Rick, I'm one of those DYI guys as well[&:] But from the results I saw at the show in Portland yesterday, when I have a bottle that needs tumbling I'll send it your way. Something tells me if I went forward with my own make-up, the bottle would probably splinter and become imbedded in my basement ceiling.[:D] I'm reposting the picture of before and after tumbling. As the center bottle shows, even after an acid bath, the bottle doesn't compare to the tumbled example to the right.

Sq45754.jpg

Attachments

• Sq45754.jpg
    Sq45754.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 125

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
The picture is a little to dark to show much so I added some light to it. Now maybe people can see the difference between acid and tumbling, sure acid will eat off junk and dirt, but it will n ot remove the stain all the way.

rick

Yw68172.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68172.jpg
    Yw68172.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 125

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members