Bottlers, gangsters and Kingston, NJ

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jerrypev

Reaction score
For the sake of Ken Burns prohibition documentary I'll tell this interesting local story:
Leo Salamanda was an Italian immigrant and Trenton bottler whose family were prominent liquor distributors in the early 1900s. Leo made the NY Times when he was killed in a shootout with Newark gangsters in 1920. Leo along with some associates were delivering a load of liquor when they were approached by four armed men in a Cadillac touring car about three o'clock in the morning at Kingston, NJ. When the smoke cleared Leo and one of the gangsters were dead of gunshot wounds to the head and the gangsters fled toward Newark at high speed. They wrecked their car near New Brunswick and eventually captured.
One day my bottle digging friend laid his hat down next to where I was standing. I poked my digging tool in the ground next to his hat and hit something. It was a blob soda bottle from the company of Emilio Grandi of Kingston, NJ. It was the first bottle I remember finding by Grandi and as always was inspired to dig into his background.
Kingston is a small town just outside Princeton, NJ. Many Italian immigrants came there during the late 1800s because of the stone quarry which supplied Princeton Uni with building stone. I found that Italian born Grandi had arrived at Ellis Island on Dec 2, 1895 from Le Havre France aboard the Normande. He was to become the first of other Italian bottlers to settle at Kingston. John Rosso and his son John Jr had emigrated from Italy earlier and operated a fruit market at State and Greene Sts before starting a bottling business in Kingston around the turn of the century.
The most well known Italian bottler in Kingston was Joseph Catelli. Joseph immigrated in 1897 settling in Kingston at the turn of the century. He married Emilio Grandi's daughter and his company prospered, lasting well up into the 1930s.
An obituary stated that Grandi died at the home of his daughter in Allentown, PA, 95 years old in 1950.

2CDA5DF600D74551B7FE958611D9E74D.jpg

Attachments

• 2CDA5DF600D74551B7FE958611D9E74D.jpg
    2CDA5DF600D74551B7FE958611D9E74D.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 55

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Love all the research you've done about these NJ bottlers, it's of particular interest to me! I think you'll all be astonished once I publish my website, which will be about all the bottlers from Essex County minus Newark. I love researching just as much as I like digging the bottles!

I only know of one bottler who was Italian here, I've seen a blob of his. It was Petro Scola from Glen Ridge. I'm sure it's incredibly rare. There was a court case against him for selling beer without a license. Hope I can get one eventually...

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. I will be printing out this info for my own personal collection background. I'm away til Sunday but can post some of my Kingston stuff as well. I'm still looking for the catelli bottles believe it or not. Thx again your posts have been incredible to read especially since I am local.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That was a good read indeed!
KB, I've got a small tooled crown Catelli if you're interested..

KBbottles

Reaction score
Hi Cyber,

Very interested! Let me know if you wanna do a trade or something or PM with price. Im going to be a seller at the next south river show.. Wasnt there something you liked that i dug and posted a while back?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I wish my memory was so good.. let's take it to PM land.. This is a great story by Jerry, I wish there were more posts like this!!

jerrypev

Reaction score
For KBbottles: I have an extra Catelli tall blob and matching crown top I dug here near the house. They have the same mold number. You can have them if you need them. I also have a Catelli short soda with slug plate dated 1931 on the bottom.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Jer,

That would be awesome! Let me know if you want to meet some time since were both pretty local. Also let me know how much you want for the Catellis. These would be a great addition to my Kingston collection!!

Many thanks,

Kenny

jerrypev

Reaction score
For KBbottles:
I'll be helping at the Cranbury Museum on Park Place at Main St. Cranbury Saturday October 30, day of the Cranbury House tour. I'll bring the bottles, also I'll show you three of the four MA Rue bottles including the one my friend Mike found on a pile of dirt by Old Trenton Rd. No charge for the Catelli bottles or looking at my rare and valuable Rue bottles.
Jerry

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause