Bottles w/o Hallmarks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crkgrl

Reaction score
Does anyone know the history of small, probably common bottles that have no hallmarks? Were they generally made locally? Recently found a small, clear medicine bottle with applied lip and no hallmark. Not the first time, so wondered. I will try to post picture later.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
By "hallmark" do you mean a glass house mark? Hallmarks are typically seen on silver and indicate purity and manf dates. Bottles sometimes have embossing on the bottoms that indicate the glass company that made them. More often they will have no embossing. Its really hard to say where a bottle was made unless it is marked or is a style that is know to be associated with a particular glass house.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like the same thing--"glass house mark". 99% of the bottles I find have a makers mark. Was curious about the ones that don't. If that meant it was made locally or it was just common at one time to not have a mark?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it seems like later bottles are more likely to be marked. On early bottles it is much more common to find them unmarked. Dont think it really has much to do with local vs distant makers.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Thanks Gunther. Tried to post a picture but too large even after I reduced size.

It is probably a pretty common bottle . Small, about three inches high and one across. Clear with applied lip, cork top. Still cool to know it may be older than much of the stuff I usually find. Happy hunting to all!.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete