brass door latch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Dug one of these brass door latches in Kennebunk,Me. Gave it to a friend that likes dogs, a couple years later. The next weekend I was digging a dump in Bath,Me (60 Mi away) and found this one, identical to the first. Strange. Would like to know more about it. Age,value or where it might have been made or if anyone else has dug these.

Ig13580.jpg

Attachments

• Ig13580.jpg
    Ig13580.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 97

diggerjeff

Reaction score
that is one high dollar piece of door hardware. i have been collecting this type of stuff for 15 years and you just dont see this quality of hardware. i believe this a a door pull for a door bell, but would need to see the back. dont give it away unless you are going to give it to me!!lol!! a quess at value would be between 150.00 and 300.00!! i will look it up when i get home tonight and try to give you a little more info. dont clean it with anything !! it is an outstanding piece from the 1880's.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Diggerjeff
Here is a picture of the back. Rod pivots on iron pin, still moves freely. Appears both pieces are cast, the top part of plate behind dogs heard has what appears to be a lions head. Guessing this might be of English (colonial) origin maybe? Let me know what you find out. Thanks.
Cliff

Om34549.jpg

Attachments

• Om34549.jpg
    Om34549.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 91

diggerjeff

Reaction score
im fairly sure this was made in the us. were did you digit from? i have seen it listed in my victorian hardware books. it is a beauty!! i want to say it was made by russel and irwin co. it this point i am uncertian if it is a bell pull or door latch. i will get more info. when i get home tonight!!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
I am inclined to think it is a latch because the way it is constructed only allows short up/down movement of the rod. Dug one in Kennebunk,Maine and the other in Bath,Maine about 60 miles away. Portland,Maine (old city) as about halfway in between so maybe they were made there.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
i knew i had seen this many times , i found a listing for it in ANTIQUE HARDWARE PRICE GUIDE BY H. WEBER WILSON C.1999. wilson is a preeminent authority on antique hardware. the market has gone up quite a bit since 99. you can hardly find this stuff anymore! first of all it is listed as a tee-handle bell pull. and is in the serious collectors range. the manufacturer is not listed and likely is not known at this time. it dates from the 1870's not 80's, and i was a bit off on the price. it lists in the 300.00 - 500.00 range.
recently a dog door knob by russell and irwin that wilson had listed 2000.00+ brought over 30,000.00 at auction. your bell pull is fantastic! i estimate ,if prof. restored this would fetch 500.00+ at this time. do not wire brush or steelwool it!!! condition is a critical factor for value. is there pitting of the metal? those dark patches are stains and in order to remove them you would have to use a cutting polish and you would loose detail. this would be a bad idea on a piece of this value . if it was mine i think i would just leave it as is! can i go digging with you sometime! you could keep all the bottles we might find!! ha ha !! awsome find!!!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
hey cliff i got dibbs on the next one! seriously ,i will pay a fair price. i think that it amazing you have actually dug two of these!!

diggerjeff

Reaction score
hi jules!
i need to know if your hardware is steel or brass . get out your magnet and see if it sticks. use a good magnet not one off the door of your fridge. some weak mags.dont go through heavy paint layers. what are you going to do after you get them clean ,just laquer them?
will you post a pic?

wootten

Reaction score
this thread is very interesting-you need to find out if your friend still has the first one that you found!-best of luck and keep us posted-wow-wendy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen