Broken bottle ?UTMAN & Co, ?EDAM, found on Guam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

daven2nl

Reaction score
Good morning! Unfortunately, it was broken, but I found what I believe to be a late 1800's to early 1900's bottle here on Guam. It was located in an old WW2 era burn pit, which may explain why it was broken. It was intermixed with WW2 era coke and beer bottles. I suspect this was a pre-war dump site that continued to be used after the war. unfortunately it's the only pre-war fragment I could positively identify. According to the Glass Manufacturer Marks index, the "T in a circle" logo is unknown, seen on the base of an aqua rectangular paneled prescription bottle, c. 1910-1930. This bottle is green, but rectangular. I am not familiar at all with bottles from this period, but it seems large for a prescription bottle; each side is exactly 3 inches across at the base but it widens up the body. I don't know how tall it is since it's a fragment. Any ideas? Thanks!-Dave
bot1.jpg
bot2.jpg

daven2nl

Reaction score
Eric - BINGO! A. HOUTMAN & CO.SCHIEDAM Gin bottle. What it was doing in the middle of the jungle, in a pile of WW2 debris, I have no idea. Perhaps made it here from the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia). I guess I know where I'm heading back next, to poke around some more! The area is all coral rock - thin layer of dirt over limestone. No chance for multiple layers. Thanks for the help!-Dave

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
[:D][:D] Glad that's solved.What's the elevation? Maybe it rode in on a wave. I'm sure there must have been many over the years.

daven2nl

Reaction score
No way it rode a wave. It was about 3 miles inland on the northern end of the island, surrounded by high cliffs at about 500ft ASL. The area was a copra plantation in the early 1900's - not too far away I found a 1928 German coke bottle. Problem is that the area was taken over buy the military during WW2 so there is a lot of 1944-1951 debris laying around, so much that it is hard to find the older stuff amongst it. Thanks again!-Dave

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator