Brookfield Insulator

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx for the links. I'm still struggling with the clean up. It might be a few days before I can do a complete clean up shot. I've got around 75 to 80 insulators. There's gotta be some nice color swirls and pot stones in a few of them. Swiz

David Fertig

Reaction score
Put about 3 gallons of water in a drywall mud bucket and add 4-5 cans Red Devil lye.

Stir and let it cool to room temp (it gets hot).

Wear rubber gloves and put insulators in bucket - as many as will fit.

Cover with lid and let sit a few days.

Remove (gloves) and rinse/wash in sink. Most of the soot should come off with a dishrag.

Dave

swizzle

Reaction score
I was going to try muriatic acid, do you think that'll work just as good or should I try the lye? I was noticing during the clean up a lynchburg with smooth drip points until I turned it around and saw the sharp drip points on the other side. Is this what is referred to as an undershot? I can't wait to get these all cleaned up. It'll be another week before I can buy some cleaning stuff. Right now I have a few soaking in a solution of drano crystals and cold water. Is it a bad thing to clean these with a brillo pad? Swiz

David Fertig

Reaction score
muratic will work too. Don't do any carnival coatings in any of the acids though. 0000 steel wool works. Brillo's ok too.

Underpour. And probably, yes.

Dave

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx for the help. The clean up is gonna take some time so I'll reply back to this thread in a few days or so. Swiz

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960