Brown glass pumpkin seed flask?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Noellet

Reaction score
Still posting some bottles dug up in my yard. Most items are from 1890’s to about 1913.
Would this be a “pumpkin seed flask”? The ones I’ve seen are usually clear glass. Also, are these always used for liquor? Does the age range look right for this bottle? NOTE the stopper was with the bottle when dug up.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 90

Noellet

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that stopper originally came in that bottle? Nice find, keep digging. LEON.
Interesting! Thank you. What would these bottles normally have— just a cork? I found this one a few years ago and I think the stopper was in it in the ground but I can’t say for sure now.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that stopper originally came in that bottle? Nice find, keep digging. LEON.
Do flasks in the US not often have glass stoppers like that? They were standard for this type of flask in Canada. I think they may have been more common in Canada in general, maybe because of the British influence. I don't see Americans posting them that much on here, not sure if it's because they're not considered notable finds by themselves or because there aren't as many. Here if you walk around an 1890-1930 dump after a rainfall you'll usually be able to spot several on the surface, there were huge numbers of them used.

And Noellet, for your other question, I think it was pretty unusual for these amber flasks to be used for anything other than liquor. I've seen the clear ones labeled for a variety of uses but I don't think I've seen an amber one labeled for anything other than whiskey.

Noellet

Reaction score
Do flasks in the US not often have glass stoppers like that? They were standard for this type of flask in Canada. I think they may have been more common in Canada in general, maybe because of the British influence. I don't see Americans posting them that much on here, not sure if it's because they're not considered notable finds by themselves or because there aren't as many. Here if you walk around an 1890-1930 dump after a rainfall you'll usually be able to spot several on the surface, there were huge numbers of them used.

And Noellet, for your other question, I think it was pretty unusual for these amber flasks to be used for anything other than liquor. I've seen the clear ones labeled for a variety of uses but I don't think I've seen an amber one labeled for anything other than whiskey.
Thank you. Perhaps the fact that it is a Canadian flask is the difference. The stopper does appear to fit well. And thanks for the info on the contents. It’s the one and only liquor bottle I’ve found so the family may have been abstainers or drank very little.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you. Perhaps the fact that it is a Canadian flask is the difference. The stopper does appear to fit well. And thanks for the info on the contents. It’s the one and only liquor bottle I’ve found so the family may have been abstainers or drank very little.
Yeah it's possible that it was medicinal whiskey, in those days it was more popular to keep some in the house even among people who otherwise didn't drink much liquor.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen