Brown glass pumpkin seed flask?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Do flasks in the US not often have glass stoppers like that? They were standard for this type of flask in Canada. I think they may have been more common in Canada in general, maybe because of the British influence. I don't see Americans posting them that much on here, not sure if it's because they're not considered notable finds by themselves or because there aren't as many. Here if you walk around an 1890-1930 dump after a rainfall you'll usually be able to spot several on the surface, there were huge numbers of them used.

And Noellet, for your other question, I think it was pretty unusual for these amber flasks to be used for anything other than liquor. I've seen the clear ones labeled for a variety of uses but I don't think I've seen an amber one labeled for anything other than whiskey.
Being a bit of a bottle diving / digging u-tube vid. junkie, I can say that I have seen quite a number of the glass stoppers found in various locals in the U.S.; but as you say, CB, methinks they're more prominent up here in Canada.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Do flasks in the US not often have glass stoppers like that? They were standard for this type of flask in Canada. I think they may have been more common in Canada in general, maybe because of the British influence. I don't see Americans posting them that much on here, not sure if it's because they're not considered notable finds by themselves or because there aren't as many. Here if you walk around an 1890-1930 dump after a rainfall you'll usually be able to spot several on the surface, there were huge numbers of them used.

And Noellet, for your other question, I think it was pretty unusual for these amber flasks to be used for anything other than liquor. I've seen the clear ones labeled for a variety of uses but I don't think I've seen an amber one labeled for anything other than whiskey.

Apparently looking through my old 1903-04 Illinois Glass Co. Catalog some Flask did come with this type of glass stopper. Some Specify glass stopper like yours & some glass stopper with internal threads which seem to be more likely on foreign bottles. foreign meaning not U.S.A. to me. Some don't specify any stopper or closure so I'd assume cork? Pics below. LEON.
Flask6.JPG
Flask4.JPG
FlaskKentucky.JPG
Flask.JPG

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
Bottles that accept cork encased stoppers like yours, will have a "ledge" about half inch or so down inside the top where the bottom edge of the cork rested. If that's the case, then it's a good chance that the stopper went with the flask. Nice find.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen