building a tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a idea on saving pontil marks on soda's? I am looking for something to save the red oxide.

Always looking for St Louis Bottles: Colored Soda's, Black Glass Ales, Pepper Sauces and Colored Druggist.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I never did any with that type of pontil mark but I heard people use a rubber ball to protect the oxide. Not sure if that works for both 3 or 4 prong holders.

epackage

Reaction score
I think some have said clear nail polish works well, but my memory may be wrong...The Jar Doctor says "Other specialty accessories for the canisters are also available, such as pontil adapters to protect those very precious pontil marks."

His site...

http://www.jardoctor.com/CleaningCanisters.htm

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
Ok, if anyone else comes up with a way to save the pontils let me know.

rando

Reaction score
Tennis ball without the green fuzz fits perfect in the pontil, as well as the stopple fingers.
Randy

RED Matthews

Reaction score
INTERESTING Thread; I have collected and saved a lot of different pontil marked glass. The thing that interests me the most is the material used to pick up the media that holds the bottle formed. I realize that white lead, red lead and graphite pastes were used to hold the media material, ie. iron powder, sand, glass dust and/or chips. I have deep push-up punty rod wines, with just white lead on the contact surface. It must have held the bottle with the shape as much as the media. It is also interesting to realize that the punty rods diameter has a lot to do with the weight of the bottle that has to be held. In many of these applications the glass dust and chips were only picked up on the edge of the punty rods shape.

There is a big lack of mechanical information in the written descriptions, written in the books on early glass forming. It was just job security to keep what your do or did, from being blabbed out to those writing their descriptions. At least that is in my opinion. RED Matthews

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The thing that interests me the most is the material used to pick up the media that holds the bottle formed. I realize that white lead, red lead and graphite pastes were used to hold the media material, ie. iron powder, sand, glass dust and/or chips. I have deep push-up punty rod wines, with just white lead on the contact surface. It must have held the bottle with the shape as much as the media

I also am interested in analyzing the trace remains on the various colored iron pontil marks. I am trying to find shards with thick preserved pontil material.

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
what are the aluminum rollers....what did they come off of? Thank you for pinning this post.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide