California Gold Rush

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
Found myself back under a familiar building today, giving it another go. This is a large building so there is plenty of digging to do! The building consists of a cluster of buildings built in the mid 1850's and 60's, with a large addition built in the early 1900's. I started out with a lunch stash, a bunch of bottles thrown in the fill along the foundation by the guys who built the T.O.C. addition. All the bottles were unembossed but at least hand blown junkers, unfortunately there were no local soda's in the mix! There were a bunch of them, and there still under there for a future collector...

I then moved up towards the street where an 49'er Gold Rush era building had stood and dug into a pile of rubble and brick. Underneath the rubble there was a slate floor of some type, under which I hit a cache of black glass ales and other black glass bottles. Overall I pulled about 50 bottles out of a 4x4 area, and they were pretty much all smashed. There was an English mallet and a nice pig nose case gin, both smashed, and the rest were pretty much all champagne and black glass whiskey or ales. I did manage tow pull out two whiskeys, and a champagne, then out pops a little round disk... A coin! I brush the dirt away to see its silver, and in immaculate shape. Turns out to be a franc, with a date of 1849, now can you get any closer to the gold rush then that?

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Matt.....Go get-um.......Looking forward to your success....Keep us along for the ride please!

RCO

Reaction score
the coin is a neat find , has some value as it silver , saw some others on ebay so its not a rare coin . there seemed to be a number around $20 range but to find one under a building is way more interesting than buying one

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RCO

the coin is a neat find , has some value as it silver , saw some others on ebay so its not a rare coin . there seemed to be a number around $20 range but to find one under a building is way more interesting than buying one
I also looked value up.. Book value is 50-55.00 + with a mint mark A if you have either of the other 2 mint marks there in the hundreds of dollars range

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin