Calling all insect powders!HELP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
SO GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN KEVIN!!

I still regret not having bought the amber BED BUG KILLER from Jacob's Pharmacy....for 100 bucks..that was when we had the money to do so then..it belonged to a friend here and he gave me first shot..he later found more about it and sold it for $1800 ...JAMIE

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Jamie my friend! Great to hear from you too. Still pluggin along haven't attended show for the last couple of years,looks like i missed the boat in Baltimore,I love that Lyons with the label. I am slowly repeat slowly working on an article about Lyons and other insect powders so besides adding examples to my collection ,I am trying to gather reports on buggers(Lyons shaped only) that are unknown ,unlisted or that I have not seen. Of course ,there are many,I'm looking at at least 27 different companies and more surfacing all the time. I will give you one piece of conjectural information-Emanuel Lyons although the discoverer and inventor of the Famous "LYONS POWDER" may well have NEVER produced a glass bottle embossed or otherwise!!! I have alot of proof to back up this claim too.
I would sure like to see the Jacobs,was that bottle Lyons shaped? You may have told me before but I forget if you did. Thats got to be right up at the very top with MYERS destroyer,I recebtly bought the second one known(damaged) from my friend Tim who dug it himself,you can see pictures if you search Myers destroyer or my posts! Actually the third as the late great Mike Dolcini dug a very damaged one many years ago and I don't believe he saved the remanents. Totally differnt color like a Philly beer color and pontiled of course.From what we can gather Myers was a very unsuccessful competitor to Lyons and may have only lasted a year or two!
Anyway always nice to hear from you,please keep me in mind for the buggers! Best Regards,kev

deep digger

Reaction score
Kev,the part of the label that reads price of flask is there but price is obscured with a stain or something. The agent is WM.E.EVERSON BROADWAY NEW YORK. The color is a reddish puce. I guess you get into all those different shades of puce and it all gets confusing. It is puce for sure though.I have a smooth base green with a label that listsDemias??????&co proprietors 2? Park Row NY. I belive the price on that one is 25 cents. Any other questions feel free to ask. Kev

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Emanuel Lyons although the discoverer and inventor of the Famous "LYONS POWDER" may well have NEVER produced a glass bottle embossed or otherwise!!! I have alot of proof to back up this claim too.

That's interesting. His name was certainly used on the ads. So who owned the depot at 424 Broadway? Lyons name is on it.

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Deep digger,Thank you for getting back to me which is appreciated.I beleive your "flask" which is how both Lyons himself and John D.Park described their "containers for holding the Lyons powder and yes,I'm into evry possible variation,color size bottles with labels etc. that I can find.Please forgive me,I don't want to sound too pushy but if you are interested or ever interested in selling it try me first and I;ll gladly pay your price.I'm guessing now butI don't think there are more than 8 of the 5" medium size bottles around and yours has the only label where the big ones are concerned. I say medium because there was apparently a third dollar size which was the size of a squatty soda,one in existance with a pretty fair degree of damage. Yours is interesting since it is from an agent and not Barnes and Park.I think it's great and thanks again for the info which is much appreciated,Best Regards,Kev

pupman

Reaction score
Hello Matt! Your question is a good one and here's my answer-Both barnes and Park and Emanuel Lyons both had different address over the years and to some degree can be dated fairly close to the year by these addresses. The key to unlocking what i call " the secrets of the Lyons empire " is the address so the information on the bottles label can be more important from a historical standpoint than the glass itself.For instance on the labels I have seen(not nearly enough) for Lyons the address is 424 Broadway(certinly his predominant address) while the bottles issued by Barnes and Park vary in address such as 13 & 15 Park Row etc. The point is that to my knowledge (and theory) the man Lyons himself NEVER issued a glass bottle for his product,hence the reason that,to my knowledge,no one has discovered a Lyons powder ,say just N.Y. embossed on it. Lyon however had quite the business deal going with Demas Barnes and John Park(when he came into the firm in about 1855 who had great funds on hand to produce the bottles with B & P on them that we know so well.Lyons sold his product right along side tham from 424 Broadway but there was never a mixup because Lyon produced his "flasks" inTIN containers. Didn't it ever seem strange that he called them flask when his abject competitor,none other than Henry Costar(in very close proximity to Lyon) called his bottles from the start! I feel confident about this because I own one of these metal fkasks with FULL label(different than B & P) much ,much rarer than ANY bottle produced because ,as we both know,tin does not hold up long when left anywhere in the elements can get to it,not to mention the label which went over a light paper sleeve. By the way,the earliest Lyons powders produced by Barnes and Park had FLARED lips which to most of us is a sure sign ofan earlier lip form. Hope this helps,sorry to "hold forth so long" and hope I haven't been too boring,Best Regards,Kev

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Here is an 1853 Lyons ad. (hope you can view it...)
This ad seems to show correspondance directed to Emanuel Lyons at the Broadway address.
It also appears to show one of the typical lyons powder bottes at the top with a paper wrapper.
This makes me think he was selling bottles in 1853??
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.113567945484972.20436.100004953006760&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=141902122651554&set=a.113567945484972.20436.100004953006760&type=3&theater

deep digger

Reaction score
Kev, The large Lyons I have is 5/34 in tall and 2 1/8 inches in diameter. Do you have one this size?? If so what color is yours?? Kev PS We dug one this size years ago in a ambery yellowish apricotty kind of color. Unfortunately it was badly broken. Like 30 years ago we didnt save too many pieces. Wish we would have. Kev

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Matt, Thank you so much for the ad,I don't have that one and it's early! It sure makes my case stronger indeed as that picture at the left is certinly a "tin" and not a bottle at all! They are super rare! If you will e-mail me at bigdoglover@optonline.net I will shoot you a couple of good pictures tonight ,have to run to worknow(bummer!) Kev

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Kev(deep digger) Thank you for more info on your bottle! Mine is probably the same color a deep reddish puce. Please e-mail me at bigdoglover@optonline.net as I need to talk to you more about your bottle and I have to get to work soon! My e-mail is BIGDOGLOVER@OPTONLINE.NET I will e-mail you back this evening,Thanks again,Kev

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau