Campion & Theroulde Granville Bottle Shard Dig In New Hampshire

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
I dug this pontiled shard several years ago in a small dump on a piece of land that I own in New Hampshire. It reads "???Theroulde/????Ville" and is pontiled with extremely heavy base wear. I am guessing it was embossed "Campion & Theroulde/Granville" from the French company of that name...has anyone ever seen a complete example of this bottle? It has got to have quite the story behind how it got to the little town of Wentworth, New Hampshire!

Attachments

• 7efc03be133341c4934b76cf27fbec70.jpg
    7efc03be133341c4934b76cf27fbec70.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 61

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
What a confusing search. There are many references to Granville NB but I can't find a Granville New Brunswick, there is something about the Netherlands? Also something that referred to them as bankers and leather goods. Then of coarse the spelling changes a bit..

Like this tidbit.

Commercial Relations of the United States with Foreign ... - Page 101 ...........
A contract was made with the house of Lecampion & Theroulde, of Granville, France, dated September 26, 1854, for the importation Of laborers from India, which has resulted in only one cargo, by the ship Sigistus Cegard, which arrived here June 9, 1856, and consisted of 786 persons, Of which a large portion has since been sent to the Antilles.............

Maybe since it appears to be a medicine and there were a lot of connections to iodine it was used on the voyage.... but that doesn't eplain it in New Hampsire in 1856.

I'm going to need a charter Gulfstream and a lot of spending money to REALLY get into it.[:D]

nhpharm

Reaction score
Campion & Theroulde started the shipping company that was later known as Compagnie_Générale_Transatlantique (which is still around in some form). Francois Theroulde and his wife's uncle (Jacques Le Campion) went into business together in several ventures, including cod fishing in Newfoundland (which was the start of the shipping company). He opened a factory in Granville in 1839 that produced soda, potash, bromine and iodine and I suspect this bottle is from that endeavor. Would love to know more as well as see a whole example!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
So, I take it you won't spring for the Gulfstream and say $100K for me? I'm willing to make the travels and hit the libraries etc.. [:D]

nhpharm

Reaction score
Nope...I'd have to take that trip myself!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1