Can someone clarify my question on stenciled stoneware lettering?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jammur9

Reaction score
i am new to this stuff but all the lettering i am seeing still is way different than the perfect brand new perfect stencil on that ebay jug. all the other lettering was a little sloppy and that other dark jug with the white letters was just to perfect.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Haven't found the stencile yet as I have a lot of totes to go thought,But a thought did occure to me that sometimes stenciles can be use to stop a finish from being applied .So with out touching the jug it would be hard to tell .Heres a pick to help you get the ideal.
bill

051B15B55F2146EBB52D6CED55AA2D93.jpg

Attachments

• 051B15B55F2146EBB52D6CED55AA2D93.jpg
    051B15B55F2146EBB52D6CED55AA2D93.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 62

Lordbud

Reaction score
Currently at $1700.00 with 11 bids. Odd that the top bidder has topped his own bid 6 times in a row and yet it doesn't mention anything about a "reserve has been met". When the same bidder adds a higher max bid it doesn't show, unless a counter-bidder puts in a highest max bid...see pic>

A5C0F3C89432411187DF6122348F8B6C.jpg

Attachments

• A5C0F3C89432411187DF6122348F8B6C.jpg
    A5C0F3C89432411187DF6122348F8B6C.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 50

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Someone said they were reputable so I'd go with that. Otherwise unless you get them to verify it you won't know until it gets to you.
Generally a stencil is done as part of a process. The final stencil will be under a glaze and you won't be able to scratch it off. It would be very easy to tell the difference. That doesn't mean it cant be faked by someone with a kiln.
This is probably a more recent jug but does show non solid stencil.
$%28KGrHqV,%21l8E1F1pK3nTBNZFP1W,s%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

Very good me lord and bud. I wonder if that's all song lovers?[:D]

CHRISTHEHAWK

Reaction score
I found this on a website, hopefully this clears up any confusion !

6F1386D513484F4AAFCE2EF04C526E5C.jpg

Attachments

• 6F1386D513484F4AAFCE2EF04C526E5C.jpg
    6F1386D513484F4AAFCE2EF04C526E5C.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 48

diggerdirect

Reaction score
"Even Bill’s idea of showing a TOC copper stencil is better than posting random pictures from the net."

The pictures were to answer your question as to 'do other stenciled stoneware jugs exist.' I'm sure lots of diggers have also turned up many shards & pieces of stenciled in this manner stoneware. Even a basic search of the net turns up plenty of examples from all over the country.

"I have seen a number of stenciled stoneware jug but they all have solid lettering."

"I was told all old stencils were made from copper with solid letters and only newer paper board stencils have division in the letter which helps to prevent them from tearing. "

Regardless of the stencils composition it is apparent they were made in this manner prior to TOC, I would think it unlikely they stopped using them for some reason.

So your two initial concerns have been resolved, onto the white lettering, the fact some other jug with white lettering exists or doesn't, while raising a certain level of caution or suspicion, is hardly grounds for immediate dismissal as a fake.

The seller indicates this is one of two that he knows of, goes into some history of it, and has been mentioned as a stand up guy by some respected members here, that would certainly lower one flag alittle.

As to absolute validity of the piece from looking at a picture thats just not possible by anyone I'm aware of.

Al

madpaddla

Reaction score
This is the statement that throws this discussion all over the place:
"To the best of my knowledge all turn of the century jug have solid lettering" - stumpknocker

The only problem is that I could almost make a bet that not all TOC jugs have solid lettering. From the era of 1895 - 1905 there had to be many, many potters of stoneware. From Akron O, Albany/Utica, Boston, etc. And to think that they all used the same type of stencil etc would be a stretch. From Maine to Cali to Texas to Florida all using the same stencil just couldnt happen. I would venture to say this jug in question is from the TOC period if not 1910. And to see that the seller is also selling some other high quality antiques, I would anticipate this one being the real deal. But research is the determining factor. Good luck on finding more info and pass it along.

stumpknocker

Reaction score
Madpaddla you have made a great point. Just a different glass houses made the same bottle in different shapes potters in differ parts of the county used different stencils. This would explain way the NY Jugs letters have the similar look. Thanks for your input. Do you or anyone else have any explanation for the white lettering? Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge for others to learn.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter