Canadian beers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Rubye & I have been taking the month of August off for vacation to escape the California summer heat for years....We usually drive to British Columbia and stay in Victoria....What a lovely city...very cosmopolitan.....very friendly.......wonderful restaurants.......wonderful people.....a walking city..... On our first trip to Victoria many years ago, we took the harbor tour taxi "up to the gorge" about 2 miles from downtown Victoria....The water taxi tour guide told us about "old Victoria"....he pointed out various points of interest and explained how the people of Victoria love the water of the harbor and the waters leading "up island" to the gorge....He pointed out how the hour glass shape of the gorge would allow water into the upper area as the tide rose & as the tide dropped..... the tide water would reverse and create a reversing falls at the narrowest point. This location was the site of the Two Mile Pub (1860's).....Rubye & I looked at the water in the upper harbor....crystal clear....salt water with an average high tide depth of 20 feet.....If a person was so willing (and we were) they might find a bottle or two near the site of the old pub.

The next year we drove back to Victoria with Kyaks & SCUBA......I remember it like it was yesterday....I found an apartment building close to "the gorge". The apartment managers were the nicest people & after I explained that I wanted to dive the gorge they allowed me to park in their vistor parking area & trespass over their property to the water. I put on an aluminum 80 (80 cubic feet of air) and slipped into the water.....I swam across the gorge (about 300 feet) to the other side & began to search an old dock area.....I noticed a lump in the dark silt & brushed it aside to uncover the center beer bottle pictured below....The bottle is a quart blob top...it is full face embossed : The Phoenix Brewery (picture of a Phoenix arising from flames} Victoria, British Columbia... This bottle is not to be sold....The bottle was buried in the silt, which inhibited any marine growth.....The bottle is sparkling mint....

After several dives I recovered the three pictured bottles.... a Union Brewing Company Limited trade mark ( Sheaf of Wheat in circle) Nanaimo B.C. This Bottle Not For Sale....again full face embossed ....a Victoria Brewing Co Victoria B.C. on the reverse Not to be sold .....and the third bottle the Phoenix.....All are in as found condition......We found other bottles covered in marine growth from laying on the bottom above the silt....some with sea weed attached...some with barnacles....the buried bottles were mostly in very fine condition.

I know a long story.....[:)] You had to be there.....Not that I didn't try to take you....[:)]

Pictured are three British Columbia treasures for your pleasure.

430592DBD7AD457A855A2C71AD3961BF.jpg

Attachments

• 430592DBD7AD457A855A2C71AD3961BF.jpg
    430592DBD7AD457A855A2C71AD3961BF.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 78

LC

Reaction score
Super nice bottles , had to be a joy to discover .

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Uncle Bruce......I see that you collect embossed beers....Interestingly enough most of the B.C. beers are green....they do have brown ones...some almost red & they're harder to find....In California 99% of our beers are brown....We do have green ones, but just a few.....I really like the British Columbia Phoenix Brewing beer...it comes in two variants...the one I found is the harder bottle.[:)]....It would be hard to get any more embossing on that bottle!

deenodean

Reaction score
Nice story and very nice bottles...I am not to familiar with Western Canadian bottles but the ones you found are sure desirable.
I have been to B.C. quite a few times, my closest kin live there, but I have not been there since I've been collecting. But the next time I go I'll scout out antique shops, collectors and hopefully an old dump. [:)]

Potlidboy

Reaction score
deenodean.............When you get ready to go...let me know....I'll set you up with several great B.C. friends & bottle collectors....I've made good friends there.........

deenodean

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Potlidboy...I'll have to write your name in my ' to do ' book and PM when I go to B.C.

P.S. , what a beautiful province it is !!

riverdiver

Reaction score
Fantastic finds Mike, nothing beats the rush of uncovering a mint bottle while diving, my blood really starts to pump when I first see glass in the hole...I guess you gotta be a diver to know the rush!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
Riverdiver.........I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau on the television set.......It was a family event.....Can you just imagine the country of France sponsoring you to dive the planet.......in the name of curiosity & good will.....It was a dream come true....The Calypso, Falco, Jean Michele & Simone traveled the world in search of adventure...I knew from that moment that I wanted to dive. I'm old enought that Viet Nam got in the way...but with a little skillful manuvering in the Military Police, I spent my time in Germany avoiding the jungle....Hey with all respect to you Viet Nam veterans we didn't belong in that war......but I degress.....I got my certification at Pirates Cove (honestly that's the name) for $35.00....a step up from the YMCA at $25.00.. I spent nearly every weekend at the North Coast living off of Abalone & fish....I put in "bottom time". Yes to answer your question....finding treasure in Canada was a thrill.....Every dive a little different...Every dive an adventure.....Keep up your posts....I look forward to your exploits.

RCO

Reaction score
the BC bottles you posted were all really neat , i was out there before but didn't find any bottles . that was a few years ago , i did find one bottle in alberta a 1948 coca cola when swimming in a lake near a mountain in Jasper National Park .

any idea how rare ? any of the bottles you found diving were ? i don't think nanaimo , BC would of been that big . although vancouver and victoria have been large cities for along time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday