Catarrh snuff bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Looking for info on a bottle I dug this summer. It is aqua in color around 3 3/8" high and has blank front and back panels 1 1/2" wide side panels are embossed one sid says CATARRH SNUFF the other side says DOCT. MARSHALLS. The seam stops at the top of the sides and bottle has a pretty roughly turned neck and lip. I'm pretty new at collecting I just started digging this summer and love the hobby (obsession). Thanks for any help!

Bob

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Bob...

Welcome to the forum!!

How about some photos of that little gem? Does the base have a rough scar on the bottom (called an open pontil)?

Ron

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! Will have photos soon. No pontil on bottom, early abm piece with a small 1 or "I" on bottom. Thanks again!!

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey...

Here's the early one...

"Snuff was introduced into Europe in the 16th century. It was a tobacco preparation which had been treated with a mixture of common salt and aromatic substances for scent and flavor such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and lavender. Snuff, which was generally inhaled via a powder form, was originally more popular than smoking tobacco and was used in both recreational and sinus-clearing capacity. In the mid-18th century, snuff began to be advertised as a cure for headaches, catarrh, and other disorders."

Jim Megura

Ron

Ca80387.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80387.jpg
    Ca80387.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 66

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
You guys are great!! I ask and here are three photos of same in varios age! Mine is identical to Brichardsons. By the way, what was catrrh? Sounds pretty bad..

Thanks again and I will definatley chat more!

bearswede

Reaction score
hey, Bob...

The Am. Heritage Dict. reads as follows:

"catarrh...n. Inflammation of mucous membranes, especially of the nose and throat..."

Sounds like the common cold to me, among other potential maladies presenting such symptoms...

Ron

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering wat that was see it on a few different bottles.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75