Catawba Back Bar bottle Acid Etched

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ka0s

Reaction score
This might be just after 1900 but it is hand finished at the top. Acid Etched design and name. Not sure where this is from any idea's?

l.jpg

It had what appears to be wheat etched around the word Catawba.

l.jpg

Thanks

David

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey David,

Welcome to the A-BN and thanks for bringing the Wine decanter. Could you get a clear picture of the neck & stopper, and the base, as well. More bottle and less busy background, please.

It looks a lot like this one:
1_5c6b7ec08988254e8fbaf46ca4616585.jpg
From.

"Catawba played an important role in the early history of American wine. During the early to mid-19th century, it was the most widely planted grape variety in the country and was the grape behind Nicholas Longworth's acclaimed Ohio sparkling wines that were distributed as far away as California and Europe." From.

The stopper doesn't look quite right to me. How'd you come by it?

Nicholas_Longworth_%281858%29.jpg

Ka0s

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies; the bottle came from a collector that is an older gentleman that is starting to sell off his collection. I'm not sure where he got the bottle but knowing this person he was the type that bought over 60 years + and did not sell. No telling how long he has had the bottle.

Ok hope these photo's help.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

There is no damage at all on this bottle and this was the top in it when I got it. Not sure if he stuck this one in it or not but it fits well and seals well with this top. If you would like more photos please let me know and I will post a few more.

Any idea of value would be helpful too.

Thanks

David

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Ka0s

l.jpg

There is no damage at all on this bottle and this was the top in it when I got it. Not sure if he stuck this one in it or not but it fits well and seals well with this top.

Hey David,

However that stopper landed, it was not made for that decanter. See how high it sits in the mouth? The stopper has a "druggist" look to it, wheras, the fancy Catawba would, most likely, have had a fancy stopper. The decanter has somewhat of a sun colored amethyst look to it, and the stopper seems color mismatched, as well.

Perhaps one of the other members can advise you on the dollar angle.

grape_catawba_1.jpg

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Syrup bottle maybe?

We are in Catawba country..................it just aint grapes.

Indians-Rivers-Soda

This is from S.C..

6361179FF5F44BB780932A041CD92FC8.jpg

Attachments

• 6361179FF5F44BB780932A041CD92FC8.jpg
    6361179FF5F44BB780932A041CD92FC8.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 65

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Yes the stopper appears to be a late mate.
Also , I beleive that design was wheel cut not acid etched. A bit hard to tell in your photos.
You can tell the difference if you feel the text. Acid etching will be very shallow and uniform. Wheel cut designs typically have a less even depth to them.

flasherr

Reaction score
I found one very similar this weekend but says camphor so i thought might be a fancy druggist bottle. Seem stops at neck and has a sharp area on base not sure if its a pontil or not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete