Charles Gardiner said.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
To clear up my reply,I was only joking with the bottle snob comment.I just hear that term alot on the forum.There is nothing wrong with only wanting nice stuff, if someone has the means.His collecting did alot for the hobby.Wouldn't it have been fun to have been a bottle collector in New England, 50 yrs. ago?I have those dreams.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Wouldn't it have been fun to have been a bottle collector in New England, 50 yrs.

Those guys are dying off now, so you get to do it all over again. Cant take em with you[;)]. Does it lessen the thrill being the 2nd or 3rd owner (caretaker)?

bunchesofbottles

Reaction score
I don't care if I'm the 50th owner. That just makes more history for that piece right? Maybe more of a chance someone used it for a spitoon or pee cup or something though, eww.

passthebottle

Reaction score
Yes and apparently bottles from those types of collections say ex-Gardiner ' ex-Greer are more valualble for them having owned them.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The most important thing to remember about Gardner, McKearin, and other EARLY collectors is that they started collecting back in the '20 and '30s, long before most bottles we collect had any value at all. Those collectors went after 100+ yr old glass at that time, and could care less about the 10 and 20 yr old junk. All things are relative, and I'm sure that if the circumstances had been reversed that they would be collecting much the same as everyone else.

I was in my 30s when Charlie's collection was sold. i didn't attend the auction, but several of my friends did. I am probably the only collector that assigns no great value to any previous collector's glass, regardless of the name. I have had Gardner bottles, but they are not worth any more than another specimine of the same type. At least to me they are not. Others have great reverence for all things Greer and Gardner and that is fine. If we all thought the same the hobby would be a very boring thing.

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

I am probably the only collector that assigns no great value to any previous collector's glass, regardless of the name. I have had Gardner bottles, but they are not worth any more than another specimine of the same type. At least to me they are not.
Mike, I'm with you. I don't see any reason to put a bottle in a higher category just because it was owned by a well known collector. These guys are just like us, no different, they put their pants on one leg a time, just like most of us. I admire their "collections", I don't know them so can't say I admire them. They didn't "make" the bottles, they just happened to have them in their collection at one time or another. I just don't understand it...........................

earlyglass

Reaction score
Nobody wants to pay more for a label, and the increased premium isn't always justified. However, these guys were collecting at a time when they could pick and choose the " best possible" examples. If a flask was passed from the McKearin's collection to Gardner's to Blaske to Richards, etc. then chances are likely that this would be a GREAT example. This is the primary reason why anyone should pursue pieces from known collections, in my opinion.

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter