Check this RARE one out

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ODD-Dark-Green-Not-Cobalt-Laxol-A-J-White-New-York-Medicine-Bottle-Early-1900-/111070921457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dc57c2f1

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Enhancing the SCA depth of tone by exposure to U.V. rays / light, in my opinion, is NOT altering but just speeding a nature process. The trained eye (I have two) can tell the difference.

[/quote]

Jim, And I do mean this with all due respect, the depth and dark tints that they get when they irradiate a bottle too much(which is most times) is never acheived by just natural sunlight. And very often with time the over irradiated bottle degenerates to a less than desirable tone (IMHO). I have two nuked bunkers that have left the display shelf [:(]
Fred

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: treeguyfred
Enhancing the SCA depth of tone by exposure to U.V. rays / light, in my opinion, is NOT altering but just speeding a nature process. The trained eye (I have two) can tell the difference.

Jim, And I do mean this with all due respect, the depth and dark tints that they get when they irradiate a bottle too much(which is most times) is never acheived by just natural sunlight. And very often with time the over irradiated bottle degenerates to a less than desirable tone (IMHO). I have two nuked bunkers that have left the display shelf [:(]
Fred
[/quote]
Freddie, I do not disagree with you one bit. My point is: A trained eye (or two) can detect the difference between U.V. Ray turned SCA / Amethyst / Purple and the altered by Gamma rays, heating, staining etc. pieces. I absolutely HATE the NUKED (Collective term) colors which, as you say, are usually much darker than any SCA can attain. I have at least two SCA / Purple pieces, that are quite dark (but not as dark as most "Nuked" pieces) and I firmly believe they are naturally turned. One is a WAW-WAW sauce bottle and the other is an ECONOMY fruit jar. I have had both long enough that I am convinced they are turned by U.V. and not Gamma Ray exposure. Also, the color is much different than the "Nuked" c--p. I suppose I COULD be convinced that they are not if ever there is a way to absolutely prove it.

I do not want to be guilty of jumping this thread so I will try to take pix of those two and start a new thread just for discussion sake. I sincerely believe this sort of discussion is good for the hobby.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
What a shame it would have been for someone to take these and turn them purple. ( Aqua bottles can turn if they have enough manganese in them)

45FD013C68E04C31A2244FED197C88CE.jpg

Attachments

• 45FD013C68E04C31A2244FED197C88CE.jpg
    45FD013C68E04C31A2244FED197C88CE.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 83

NHkeith

Reaction score
aren't these chemically treated or expose to UV or something like that?

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
There still seems to be some confusion here with some members concerning NUKING verses SCA (sun colored amethyst). In my opinion, as well as Jim's and Matt's, is that NUKED bottles are glass that has been subjected to Gama rays from machines emitting radiation to sterilize vegetables, hospital surgical tools, etc. SCA glass are those items that have been exposed to ultra violet rays from the sun over many years. In order to do this, the bottles or glass must contain manganese in their original recipe when made. The reason for the addition of manganese was to produce a clear (non-colored) glass, as opposed to natural bottle glass (aqua, blue-green). When exposed to sunlight over a long period of time, the clear glass containing manganese can turn to various shades of purple (amethyst), depending on the amount of manganese in the glass! Aqua, or blue/green glass bottles WILL NOT turn purple when exposed to sunlight, due to the lack of manganese. A "purpling box" using a germicidel lamp bulb is commonly used by bottle collectors to hasten the process of turning the glass purple (amethyst). With the use of a purpling box, YOU CANNOT make a bottle any darker than it could turn naturally under the sun for a very long period of time! I do not consider glass turned purple by use of a purpling box as glass being NUKED, as nuked glass, via gama ray machines, will turn glass crazy colors, especially extremely dark purples, much darker than achieved by ultra violet rays from the sun, or a light box. "NUKING" is very prevalent in the insulator hobby and has created many problems concerning authenticity of "rare" colors turning up! And, it seems to be increasing in the bottle hobby as well. I have no problem with using a purpling box (I have one), but, as many other members here have stated, I do hate the nuking of bottles, jars and insulators. It creates fraudulent colors that many collectors pay inflated prices for.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There still seems to be some confusion here with some members concerning NUKING verses SCA (sun colored amethyst). In my opinion, as well as Jim's and Matt's, is that NUKED bottles are glass that has been subjected to Gama rays from machines emitting radiation to sterilize vegetables, hospital surgical tools, etc. SCA glass are those items that have been exposed to ultra violet rays from the sun over many years. In order to do this, the bottles or glass must contain manganese in their original recipe when made. The reason for the addition of manganese was to produce a clear (non-colored) glass, as opposed to natural bottle glass (aqua, blue-green). When exposed to sunlight over a long period of time, the clear glass containing manganese can turn to various shades of purple (amethyst), depending on the amount of manganese in the glass! Aqua, or blue/green glass bottles WILL NOT turn purple when exposed to sunlight, due to the lack of manganese. A "purpling box" using a germicidel lamp bulb is commonly used by bottle collectors to hasten the process of turning the glass purple (amethyst). With the use of a purpling box, YOU CANNOT make a bottle any darker than it could turn naturally under the sun for a very long period of time! I do not consider glass turned purple by use of a purpling box as glass being NUKED, as nuked glass, via gama ray machines, will turn glass crazy colors, especially extremely dark purples, much darker than achieved by ultra violet rays from the sun, or a light box. "NUKING" is very prevalent in the insulator hobby and has created many problems concerning authenticity of "rare" colors turning up! And, it seems to be increasing in the bottle hobby as well. I have no problem with using a purpling box (I have one), but, as many other members here have stated, I do hate the nuking of bottles, jars and insulators. It creates fraudulent colors that many collectors pay inflated prices for.

I agree with pretty much all of that except some aqua glass containing manganese will turn amethyst when exposed to UVB.
It takes a certain amount of manganese before aqua glass is bleached totally clear (depends on the amount of iron in the silica).
I dont know if the manganese comes naturally from impure silica sources or is introduced from cullet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583