Cheerwine from Asheville, NC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

morbious_fod

Reaction score
2find4me said:
I assume you are talking about this paneled deco Cheerwine:
399px-Cheerwine_bottle.jpg
If this is your bottle it dates from around the 1920's.I have no idea who would have been the bottler from Asheville, although Cheerwine was bottled through out NC starting in 1926.

You are correct that is the style of bottle I am referring to; however, those bottles were used into the early 1950's. Like I said mine is dated 1952. I know this for sure, because I am familiar with the dating on these bottles due to my research of my Johnson City Tennessee version which was dated 1951 and corresponded with the introduction ads I found in the local newspapers. In that case the bottler was the local Double Cola Bottling Company.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
I found a snippet in a book titled "Problems of American Small Business" (with a really long subtitle) from 1942 that says:"Location and names of plants temporarily closed because unable to obtain sugar, together with the names of sugar distributors or brokers who are unable to deliver the sugar: Asheville: Smoky Mountain Distributors, Food Brokers, Inc. Dr. Pepper, Pilot Brokerage Co. Tru-Ade, Avery Rhyne Cheerwine, Thomas & Howard, C. D. Kenny Division Seven-Up, Savannah Sugar Refinery, Savannah"

Thomas & Howard along with C. D. Kenny Division were wholesale grocers, so it is likely that they were unable to deliver sugar to a Cheerwine bottler in Asheville; however, this is in 1942.

I finally found a source for the Asheville City Directories. The strange thing is that a Cheerwine Bottling Company isn't even listed in 1940, 41, or 42, but that is beside the point.

The era we are looking for is around 1952, which is exactly the one that is missing from my source; however, we have 1951 and 1953.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
[attachment=1951.jpg]As my bottle is in almost mint shape it is possilble that it may have never been used. I'm speculating that we are dealing with a bottler that went out of business around 1952. Looking at the list I'd say we have some candidates. First there is the Asheville Beverage Company, generic name makes it very possible. Canada Dry Bottling of Asheville, my knowledge of Canada Dry Bottling in Bristol which started around the same time informs me that they weren't in the habit of taking on non Canada Dry sodas so I say they are ruled out. Orange Crush is possible as the one in Johnson City picked up that franchise from the Double Cola Bottling Company when they went out business in 1953; however, I don't know.

My money is on the Asheville Beverage Company which in 1948-49 were known as the Clicquot Club Bottling Company which makes me think they were searching for another leader after possibly losing the Clicquot Club franchise. You don't change your name for no reason. They weren't in existiance in 1947, so they were most likely another returning veteran bottling plant just like many started by G. I.s returning from WWII that only lasted a couple of years. Explains the relative scarcity of these Cheerwine bottles. [attachment=1953.jpg] Seven up is still there in 1953, I just didn't want to bother with the next page.

Attachments

• 00cdb25a4a9e4938a97e02b3b4e3cd3f.jpg
    00cdb25a4a9e4938a97e02b3b4e3cd3f.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 96
  • e87df4d7c38d4eca8db3c69cebec663c.jpg
    e87df4d7c38d4eca8db3c69cebec663c.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 93

morbious_fod

Reaction score
I have found several ads for the Royal Crown Bottling Company in Asheville from the time period that list their sodas all of which are Royal Crown/Nehi/Par-T-Pak products. If they were bottling Cheerwine then I would bet the would have mentioned it.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
[blockquote]"I finally found a source for the Asheville City Directories. The strange thing is that a Cheerwine Bottling Company isn't even listed in 1940, 41, or 42, but that is beside the point." [/blockquote]They aren't listed on the city directory but they were certainly there. Perhaps the bottling facility was actually located outside the city limits. I find this a lot in my area. In which case they would never show up on a city directory.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb I have hit a dead-end but wish you success in your search. I thought you and other Cheerwine fans might enjoy this ad for a future reference ... The Gastoria Gazette ~ Gastoria, N.C. ~ June 19, 1957

Attachments

• c45ae62f1a90450a8e177e69a7995d0a.jpg
    c45ae62f1a90450a8e177e69a7995d0a.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 97

morbious_fod

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
[blockquote]"I finally found a source for the Asheville City Directories. The strange thing is that a Cheerwine Bottling Company isn't even listed in 1940, 41, or 42, but that is beside the point." [/blockquote]They aren't listed on the city directory but they were certainly there. Perhaps the bottling facility was actually located outside the city limits. I find this a lot in my area. In which case they would never show up on a city directory.

It could also be possible that The C. D. Kenny Division was bottling Cheerwine at the time. I noticed that in a 1951 ad in a year book from the area C. D. Kenny noted that they also manufactured food items as well. This may be why a Cheerwine Bottling Company doesn't appear in the city directories. I didn't have time to research too far into the C. D. Kenny Division, or Thomas & Howard, during the time period in question. Wholesale Grocers did bottle in some cases. The fact that both are mentioned in the information you posted suggests a connection, whether it is as owners or sugar supplies is the question.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb

I realize the attached snippet is thirty years earlier than the time period you are interested in, but because it is the only reference I could find that places Cheerwine in Asheville, I thought the names might lead to something helpful.

Mint Cola Bottling Company ~ Asheville, N.C. ~ 1920 ~ Bottled Cheerwine

Attachments

• b721872f8706480e89738419eb7ad485.jpg
    b721872f8706480e89738419eb7ad485.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member