Cistern found??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

quicksilver

Reaction score
Hi,
I am searching an old farmhouse foundation and barn site. I came across a possible cistern in the ground that opens about 3 feet below the dirt surface. It is filled with dirt on the bottom so I don't know the exact depth. It is composed of concrete and is circular. About 2-3" thick, circular walls. It is located near the rock wall (in the building). A pipe extends out from the wall about 10 feet. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to dig this up for bottles. Let me know your thoughts and expertise. Thank you.

Matt

diginit

Reaction score
Hi Quickie,
I'm no expert at cisterns. A picture is always helpful. From what I understand, If it is concrete, then it's fairly new and not worth digging. Might be some sodas or something in my opinion. Don't sink in the mud, The only thing left on the surface will be your hat.[:D]How old is the farmhouse? Look for privys yet?

madman

Reaction score
hey go for it but be carefull it might be a well mike

quicksilver

Reaction score
Hi,
The house/barn foundation dates back to late 1800's. It is surrounded by farmfields all around. The brush and trees have grown up around most of it. Maybe the privy was tilled under beyond the brush and trees. There a couple rock piles. I dug the cistern and found, in the foot of soil, several Blue-spotted Salamanders and rocks/sand. However, I did find some clear glass shards near the surface. I don't think I will dig through the rocks/sand. It is too compacted. The cistern was probably made later than the early 1900's. I will probably go back and try to find some evidence of a privy.

Matt

GuntherHess

Reaction score
the problem with cisterns is, unlike privys, people didnt throw crap in them while they were in use. The bottles, if any would have been put in at the end of the life of the cistern when they filled it in. If its an early cistern you might still find something.
The one on my property was just filled with big rocks.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973