Civil War Era Bottles on TV

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ryan

Reaction score
Just in case you didn't know, or are in danger of forgetting (like me) check your local listings for the National Geographic Special on the S.S. Republic and the recovery of its treasures...

In my area it's on Wednesday the 17th, (TODAY) at 8pm...

I saw a few bottles in the preview, does anyone know of a website that shows pictures of their finds? Anybody know what kinds of bottles were found?

Should be a cool show!

-Ryan

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ryan,
Here's a link to the website http://www.shipwreck.net/

Odyssey’s SS REPUBLIC shipwreck will be the subject of a one hour National Geographic Special titled “CIVIL WAR GOLDâ€, premiering Wednesday, November 17th at 8:00 PM ET/PT on PBS (check local listings). To find the local PBS station in your market, you can go to www.pbs.org

Brian

jaken

Reaction score
$1000 for an aqua inkwell????? Provenance is worth some but...........The bottles we dig from Civil War huts were actually used by Civil War soldiers for goodness sake. Those bottles were in crates from the factory and never touched by anyone until the robots brought them up.

kumtow

Reaction score
Interesting site. I don't think I would pay the money they are asking even with full provenence. Still, there are many people who will want a bottle from this shipwreck...good luck to them.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I think there antique bottle knowlege is somewhat lacking . But , you never know there may be a few out there that will pay those prices. Any Green Drake's in the bunch ??? I'll gladly give a 1000.00 for them. LOL
It still will be a very informative and interesting show.....even if there bottles they recovered are way OVERPRICED !
I'll be watching ! Brian

Ryan

Reaction score
It's sad that they're charging so much for their bottles, but they know they only have so many and the last thing they want is to have them sold out for less than what they possibly could have went for. If they asked book price, or even double book, they'd sell out in a heartbeat because of the show and the provenance. The old adage that something is worth what someone is willing to pay comes into play here. Of course to us, they're paying way too much. They know they're going to have a BIG audience with National Geographic doing their show, so they're going to milk it for all it's worth. Plus they have millions of dollars of expense (of course not to mention the millions in profit they should get from this wreck), and oh yeah don't forget! You're also getting "...an SS Republic hardwood base, Certificate of Authenticity, a vividly illustrated booklet describing the shipwreck's history, and a DVD of the one-hour National Geographic Special "Civil War Gold."

That makes it worth $1000 right? hehe, not in my opinion but I'm sure their phones will be ringing tonight...

People buying these bottles aren't buying them because they like bottles, they're buying them because they're from the Republic, and they can touch something they might have seen on tv. Kind of silly, but if I were a millionaire I might buy one...

Did anyone here get to see any of the stuff from the Atocha in person when they did their tour? I did, and they wanted a lot for their items too, but they sure were neat to look at. The item I wanted wasn't for sale, and if it were they would have wanted 1.2 million for it, so either way it was out of my range... [:eek:]

Oh well, guess I better get to digging!

-Ryan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday