cleaning sick glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
thanx,i hate it when they look so good when wet,then go back to their original state when it drys,its like there teasing you[:mad:][:)]

carobran

Reaction score
dont have an aquarium,used to have a few gold fish,..........none lived a month[&:]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Here is the quickest way to remove hazing, staining on bottles you dont plan on selling.Long buried bottles have the white staining which can show it self on any color of glass buried for a long time or sometimes not that long of time. For bottles I dont plan on selling Polyuerthane works wonders on the stains being discussed.To get to the inside of the bottle use a stiff piece of wire. I use 10 gauge electrical wire and attach a cotton ball to it.

Spray the cotton ball with high Gloss varathane or high gloss polyuerthane and paint the inside of the bottle.A lot of the staining should disappear.Now if the outside of the bottle has similar problems chalky,hazy,worn whatever spray the bottle wth the urethane and a lot of the discoloration should disappear.The bottle will look amazingly diffrent when finished.Again I strees this, DONT do this to bottles you plan to sell unless you disclose this has been done to the buyer and he is OK with it.Allow it to dry for about 8 hrs depending on the humidity.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
That's a good idea, Steve. I think I'll try that on a junk bottle first, then decide how it looks. I never thought of that before!

LC

Reaction score
I posted a stained hutch soda on here some time back that I sprayed with a can of clear laquer , it turned out really well also .

carobran

Reaction score
might try it,ever done it with a turtle shell,they look great,was gonna make me one,caught a turtle,killed it,left it in the wooods to rot out,went back a coupla weeka later to get it,the top layer of shell had all peeled off[:mad:]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Sprayed/urethaned/shellacked sickies will look much better for ..years.. not for more than that, though. Eventually the application decomposes.. it's not a pretty sight, especially on a sprayed blob that was wrapped in newspaper and stored in a hot attic for 7 years.. you'll wish it was just sick..!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Chuck I sprayed urethane on furniture back in 1985 and it still looks new and has been sitting in my attic for the last 20 years with no ill effects.Varathane is water based and can crack in time.Shellac will crack and peel over time.Urethanes on the other hand have a long life cycle.

Polyurethane (PUR) belongs to the class of thermosetting polymers and contains the characteristic urethane (O-CO-NH) group formed in the typical condensation polymerisation. PUR is useful in different types of products as for example elastomers. Polyurethane elastomers have extremely good abrasion resistance and hardness, combined with good elasticity and resistance to greases, oils and solvents.

The space shuttle switched to urethane based O rings and other parts because of the materials ability to withstand very harsh conditions and extreme heat. Aftermarket car parts manufacturers have always used urethand based seals,gromets ,bushings ect for their resistance to gas and oil and there ability to withstand temperatures aproaching 500 degees near the exhaust and catalytic converters.I put polyurethane fornt end bushings in my 1983 Monte Carlo SS,I had them checked two weeks ago as the car is about to be put back on the road for my son.All the rubber on the car including the tires,sealsgaskets ect dry rotted.The urethane looks like the day I installed them back in June of 1983 when the car was new.

If you are going to spray any product on a bottle urethane is the best.The newer lines of the product are less amber tinted and are almost clear.Even on a clear bottle it will hide the imperfections big time.If you are 40 years old or greater and you sprayed a bottle this evening,you and I will be finished on earth before the finish comes off the bottle you sprayed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75