Clear BPM jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grimesco

Reaction score
Hello!
I have really enjoyed spending time on your forum. I have learned a lot from all of your posts and pictures. I sure appreciated all of your help identifying a jar a few weeks ago.
I am developing an interest in clear jars. I live in the middle of farming/canning country in Illinois. I see hundreds of clear jars at auctions, garage sales, etc... I have been studying my Red Book, but I have also read that it's value guide could bely the scarcity of some of the clear jars.
Does anyone have any advice on a few major attributes (at quick glance) that I should look for in clear jars (Ball jars specifically)? Which variations of the clear Ball Perfect Mason jars are scarce? I can't entirely tell from the RB listings. Should I be looking for a specific shape of jar, embossing style, mold style, etc...?
I realize that color is king, but boy, it's expensive! I like the thought of finding some rare, overlooked gem in an old church basement or farm sale.
I sure appreciate the advice!!

deenodean

Reaction score
There are so many variations of Ball and Mason jars, it s hard to keep them all straight. Perhaps you can go by the RB price guide, the more expensive the jar the more the rarity. Also look for crude jars and jars with embossing errors. numbers on the bottom usually mean the mold # and most times does not effect value...I agree , color is king!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93