Co-Cola, My-Coca, KOKE, Pepsi from Ohio

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celerycola

Reaction score
This is the second Vermilion Koke I've had. It is easily a $100 bottle even with the chip. The Co-Cola is damaged but looks good on the shelf. Lorain My-Coca is only the second I've had. A Youngstown guy told me at Mansfield he has never seen the My-Coca from there.

Did you see the Akron Pepsi crate I posted?
ORIGINAL: JayBeck

Very nice finds! I would like to have all those in my collection but I only have the Lorain My Coca. I put a bid on that Vermilion Koke bottle but not too much because of the chip. There was another bidder but I thought you were probably the winner since you asked me if I had one of those bottles. Keep me in mind if you find any upgrades or duplicates.

JayBeck

Reaction score
I have never seen the Vermilion Koke bottle before that listing. I only knew it existed when you asked me if I had one and I have been collecting/digging bottles near or in Vermilion for at least 25 years. I have 3 different embossed sodas from Vermilion including an aqua Vermillion Bottling Works but never knew about the Koke. I bid what I could spend for it so I'm glad you were able to get it for such a good price even with that third bidder who was willing to pay $5 more than me. Besides there must be at least one buried in the ground nearby and I can think of a couple dumps that might have one hidden somewhere.

My Lorain My Coca has some damage but it was a flea market bargain and it is the only one I have seen besides your bottle. I have not seen the Lorain Co Cola bottle before but I do have a couple other Purity Bottling Co bottles. Now that I know it exists I can try to find one.

The Pepsi crate is very nice and in such great condition. I was most interested in the LEB and that is from Akron because I was not aware of a Lake Erie Bottling in Akron. I posted a photo of my Lake Erie Bottling bottle from Canton which is very close to Akron. I collect any Lake Erie sodas so now I'm wondering if these companies were the same or are unrelated because that crate looks to be quite a bit older than my bottle.

28DC3C3C375D4C7891BDDC828FC86B14.jpg

Attachments

• 28DC3C3C375D4C7891BDDC828FC86B14.jpg
    28DC3C3C375D4C7891BDDC828FC86B14.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 84

celerycola

Reaction score
I use two $5 clip-on fixtures with $15 full spectrum bulbs shining from above. One light is slightly to the front to highlight the embossing and the second slightly to the rear to show the color. I need to add a third shining below to eliminate the shadow. My camera is an old Samsung with a macro feature. I put it on a tripod and use the timer so there is no motion to spoil the photo. I don't use the flash. I open the photos in Graphic Converter on the Mac and turn up contrast and brightness so I can eliminate the background, then adjust back to the correct color. This only works with darker amber or green bottles. Clear and aqua bottles don't have the contrast to adjust in the software. The aqua Pepsi on the right was taken with the same lighting so you can see the problem. For the lighter bottles I need a bright, sunny day but indirect light. I'm still working on lighting setup for the lighter bottles.
ORIGINAL: ScottBSA

Love the bottles. What kind of lighting do you use to get the amber bottles to come out so clearly? Mine always come out muddy.
Scott

celerycola

Reaction score
I had traded my first Vermilion Koke to a friend years ago and was happy to get this one. My two Lorain My-Coca bottles have a little damage and the Co-Cola has major damage. There is a large, ugly, one inch ding on the letters "PUR" on the left side of the slug plate and three cracks in the bottom. I still bought it for ten bucks. The back lighting hid the damage on the Co-Cola.

The Lake Erie Bottling in Canton was separate from the similarly named companies in Akron and Toledo.
ORIGINAL: JayBeck

I have never seen the Vermilion Koke bottle before that listing. I only knew it existed when you asked me if I had one and I have been collecting/digging bottles near or in Vermilion for at least 25 years. I have 3 different embossed sodas from Vermilion including an aqua Vermillion Bottling Works but never knew about the Koke. I bid what I could spend for it so I'm glad you were able to get it for such a good price even with that third bidder who was willing to pay $5 more than me. Besides there must be at least one buried in the ground nearby and I can think of a couple dumps that might have one hidden somewhere.

My Lorain My Coca has some damage but it was a flea market bargain and it is the only one I have seen besides your bottle. I have not seen the Lorain Co Cola bottle before but I do have a couple other Purity Bottling Co bottles. Now that I know it exists I can try to find one.

The Pepsi crate is very nice and in such great condition. I was most interested in the LEB and that is from Akron because I was not aware of a Lake Erie Bottling in Akron. I posted a photo of my Lake Erie Bottling bottle from Canton which is very close to Akron. I collect any Lake Erie sodas so now I'm wondering if these companies were the same or are unrelated because that crate looks to be quite a bit older than my bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey