Cobalt "Handyside's Consumption Cure"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

katfishkuntry

Reaction score
I dug this bottle in New Orleans, LA. I did a little research online about George Handyside but I can't find anything about this specific bottle. It's about 8in tall, square base, cobalt blue, and is embossed "Handyside's Consumption Cure". I've found a bit of information about other Handysides Consumption Cure bottles but nothing of this size and color. The bottle is in perfect condition and has been cleaned since the pictures were taken. Anybody know anything about it's value/rarity?

Attachments

• 4f6b6568990f4671805518a04564d275.jpg
    4f6b6568990f4671805518a04564d275.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 1a938b6f61ec4037ac5c7697b8a0bc88.jpg
    1a938b6f61ec4037ac5c7697b8a0bc88.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 107

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice bottle! Whenever you put a cobalt bottle and a cure bottle together, you have a winner. I'm guessing it is an English bottle based on the name and style. Cure collectors would know more.

PASodas

Reaction score
Based on the embossing ("E" almost runs off bottle) I would say this is an early bottle just missing the pontil rod. It is not listed in either of Agee's books. John Wolf has a 10 3/4" olive amber variant on his want list. I would consider this a very desirable bottle.

PASodas

Reaction score
After further research, this is an English bottle and came in aqua, lt green, olive amber in various shapes and sizes and is not uncommon across the pond though I found no references to cobalt. There is a book in print on George Handyside. ". . . it was in Newcastle that George’s third and most publicised money-making enterprise began. Having successfully manufactured and marketed a ‘consumption cure’ in 1888, he went on to corner the ‘medicinal cure’ market with cures for rheumatism, digestion, toothache and a nerve restorer. This last product, which boldly claimed to take away the desire for alcoholic drinks, became a nationwide best-seller.
The tireless George also found time to run a farm at Bellingham and become an omnibus proprietor, and at the turn of the century he embarked on a 90-shop development in Percy Street, Newcastle. He died in 1904 . . ."

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Being on the other side of the pond I guess, I never heard of them. Care to share what you have?It's interesting that so many English makes show up in that port, I mean, I think of it as French first and then American.Oh well, back to the history classroom.[:)]

botlguy

Reaction score
Well Jaid, WELCOME to the forums, I think you got your questions answered, it's RARE, desirable and therefor worth a bit of change. You have an offer to buy it, now you need to decide if you want IT or what the money it brings can buy you. Nice dilemma! Congratulations and Good Luck. Jim

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's a good photo for a phone I guess. It's a bit dark but very clear, not at all like the blurry pics I'm use to.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The first pic of the bottle looks like a pretty deep cobalt color to me, I have two of the sauce type bottles 8 " and 7" in dark olive green, and they are not the most rarest of the sauce bottle colors, I thought the cobalt blue would be considered very rare, am I wrong? Have you tried to contact the original poster? should I ?.......Andy

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I figure that words like rare and money have been put out there and that it won't happen but good luck Roger.I hope you get to at least have the chance, you deserve it and I know it's for your collection.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1