Cobalt Prices with US druggists label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
I've just listed this pontiled and labelled Prices bottle on ebay UK.

Condition is mint, with 95% of a label from a Brooklyn druggist who must have re-used the bottle for his own product.

The British registration diamond in the embossing is dated 4th December 1853 (the date the design was registered), and this bottle almost certainly dates pre-1860.

Jerry

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
nice example. My first thought would be that is the original importers label since it was imported through NY and it did contain glycerine. Like you say the name would need to be researched.
He would have had to remove the original prices label though.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I don't know much about non American bottles but with the stopper and the neck, it would seem to be a little more like the 1880s at least. Again, I don't know for sure. I do know that it is a beautiful bottle and one that should bring much more than your starting price of 1L. Good luck. BTW, wasn't George Jones an American Country singer?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi Jerry, stunning example. Any idea on shipping to Mass USA?
Anyway here's something from an 1893 book. It doesn't help with a firm dating but interesting none the less.

16101EF4AFAB439ABEB6CD6D193CCEAB.jpg

Attachments

• 16101EF4AFAB439ABEB6CD6D193CCEAB.jpg
    16101EF4AFAB439ABEB6CD6D193CCEAB.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 76

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice piece! I'd think that back in the day one would be able to charge a premium for a properly labeled bottle of Price's glycerin over one with just a druggist's label, so i'd wager it was cleaned/de-labeled and brought by the customer to the druggist to be refilled. I dunno if bringing a bottle to have your purchase packed in would earn a discount, but i would offer one were i a 19th c. druggist.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen