COCA COLA / NEEDLES, CA. / BILL PORTER

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
splante ~

Thanks. Below is another tid-bit of a story related to the history of Needles, California. I just wish I could find a photo and some more information related to the Coca Cola bottler from there. But hopefully that will be forthcoming and make this essay complete. [:)]

SPBOB

Charles M. Schulz (1922–2000) (Creator of Charlie Brown and the "Peanuts" comic characters).
schulz-tricycle.jpg
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on November 26, 1922, Charles M. Schulz was the only child of Dena and Carl Schulz. From birth, comics played an important role in Schulz’s life. At just two days old, an uncle nicknamed him “Sparky†after the horse Spark Plug from the Barney Google comic strip, and throughout his youth he and his father shared a Sunday morning ritual reading the funnies. Schulz always knew he wanted to be a cartoonist and was very proud when Ripley’s newspaper feature, Believe it or Not, published his drawing of the family dog in 1937. The Schulz family moved to Needles, California, in the summer of 1929, when Sparky was six years old; they only stayed there for about a year before returning to Minnesota.

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Hey Kid ~

Where ya been? Good to hear from you. In response to your reply, consider this ...

Is the universe there to "wonder" about or "wander" about?

SODA"AMAZED"BOB

[:D]

P.S. ~ There was a "Taft" Big Chief on e-bay the other day. You otta get it. Even if you don't "get" my quizzler above. Lol

Wow, can you send me the link to it? Is it still for sale?

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Darn, I come back in here at almost 1 am........too late.

That bottle is CLEAN!

Sold for $26.85 - not bad. The seller just made about 25 smackers.

ktbi

Reaction score
Thanks for the Route 66 history Bob. My wife and I drive a good part of 66 two years ago through California and Arizona. I've always liked the history. Will be watching for your bottles. Ron

surfaceone

Reaction score
Howdy Bob,

Thanks for the history and the tour. Been a long time since I've been to Needles.

Spike_in_Needles(1).jpg
"To fans of the Peanuts comic strip, Needles is the home of Snoopy’s famous brother, Spike. Spike can usually seen in the cartoon sitting by a spiky cactus, wearing a hat to protect his fur from the desert sun." From.

DNXTD00Z.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the kudos and shared information. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am currently working on another hobbleskirt Coca Cola bottle I have from Gallup, New Mexico. Eventually I hope to have a hobbleskirt from every bottler along old Route 66 and do a history on each of them. But it will take time, and possibly even years.

Signed ... "Sparky Jr." Lol [:D]

(My apologies for getting off-track here, but what's new?)

{Below - Snoopy's brother, Spike, who lives in a Saguaro cactus in Needles, California. Shown receiving an invitation to "Snoopy's Reunion" which was a feature cartoon made in 1990, and includes all five of the puppies in Snoopy's family. Plus the link to the cartoon itself if any of you Snoopy fans care to watch it. It is shown in three segments, with Spike's appearence in the 3rd part.} YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAeSTJyDfoY
[/align]

7D7FA07FBD4049C58BAE22B1C8120FDC.jpg

Attachments

• 7D7FA07FBD4049C58BAE22B1C8120FDC.jpg
    7D7FA07FBD4049C58BAE22B1C8120FDC.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 74

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member