Coca-Cola Recipe from the AJC.com

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Headhunter2

Reaction score
Georgia man selling alleged Coke recipe for millions

1:29 pm May 14, 2013, by Jon Watson
Courtesy of EBay

Courtesy of EBay

Growing up as the son of a Coca-Cola employee in Atlanta, I’ve heard the lore of the super-secret formula for Coke far more than most. The story of the original recipe for Coke was shrouded in mystery, and took on many forms; my favorite being that the only two living executives who know the formula are not allowed to fly on the same plane together, lest a crash result in the loss of everyone’s favorite soft drink forever.

Of course, there is an overwhelming amount of calculated marketing that has gone into those stories, and I’m sure the reality is much more mundane. But that has not stopped scores of opportunists from trying to expose the secret formula, including the ominous “7X†flavoring. The most recent and notable of these was just 2 years ago, when NPR’s This American Life dug up what they believed to be the recipe and posted it online, crashing their website with the influx of views. NPR’s source? A 1979 article from The Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Well, it seems the formula has reared its head again, and this time it will only cost you $15 million to own a copy.

Cliff Kluge of Ringgold, GA., was at an estate sale in Chattanooga – the home of the first Coca Cola Bottling Company – and purchased the belongings of a deceased chemist. Among the belongings, Kluge found what he believes to be a copy of the recipe typed up on January 15th, 1943. Currently, the only official copy of the recipe resides in a special vault here in Atlanta at the Coca-Cola Museum.

So what would you do if you found such a rare piece of US history? Put that thing on EBay, of course!

My favorite part is near the end where Kluge feels the need to really sell the recipe, not as a collector’s item (which, assuming it is authentic could easily be worth millions to the right collector) but instead as an opportunity to manufacture your own Coca-Cola:

You may find the “Buy It Now†price exceptionally steep, but it will be a drop in the bucket if this formula rises to the occasion and yields an accurate formula for Coca-Cola – the most popular drink in the world, with over a billion served daily. A billion plus per day – my goodness.

You can see the entire EBay listing here.

Seems a little steep for me.
Headhunter2

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'll just go to the drugstore and buy the syrup or if I want bulk get it from a wholesaler.
Thank you for keeping your eye for us though.[:)]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:mad:] I dont see that it matters, I used to drink Coca Cola until they changed the recipe, Then they went back to the so-called original recipe with their classic Coke, NOT! It is now a crappy tasting forrunner of itself[:(][:(]

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[:mad:] I dont see that it matters, I used to drink Coca Cola until they changed the recipe, Then they went back to the so-called original recipe with their classic Coke, NOT! It is now a crappy tasting forrunner of itself[:(][:(]

Got some inside info?

Also, if you say it taste like a 'forerunner' of itself and you say it did not go back to the original formula, would that not mean it taste like the original?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Also, if you say it taste like a 'forerunner' of itself and you say it did not go back to the original formula, would that not mean it taste like the original?
I don't see he said that at all Pat. What I get is that the "classic" just is better that the "new" but not nearly as good as before the "new". It will never be the "original" ever again. [:)]
Edit: And I agree, the "classic" I didn't find as good as the before "new" either. Did something in the formula change or was it my taste buds? That I can't answer.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The Q&A's on that ebay listing make for interesting reading.. [8D]

RCO

Reaction score
i can't imagine how this could ever be real , its the kind of thing you see on tv all the time on shows like pawn stars , someone thinks they have something worth alot only to find out later its fake or not what they though it was . its very doubtful he found the coca cola recipe in a old box

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2