cod bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

monsterdigger

Reaction score
Once again sorry for posting these questions without a picture, I do not live with my parents and thats were this computor is that i am on all the time. So of course i do not know how to use there digital camera yet. hopefully i will learn when my dad comes back from the store. Anyway i got a bottle with a ball that sits indise the bottle near the shoulder. I was told it was a cod bottle. its about 8" high and come to a tapper. with a very crude applied lip. On the front it is embossed: MACKEY & Co under that is: LIM-ITED under that is a picture of a globe and on the sides of the globe is embossed: TRADE MARK and under that it is embossed: KALGOORLIE. Where is this bottle from? What era? Whats the deal with the little ball? Does anyone collect cod bottles? Possible trades.......................................thanks guys and girls................Jake

Bixel

Reaction score
A cod bottle operates on the principles that when the bottle was tipped upside down, a seal on the inside of the lip of the bottle would seal the ball to it, therefore stopping the liquid from escaping. As to age, i dont know, possibly 1870s, earlier?

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day Monsterdigger

Your Codd bottle is from Australia - Kalgoorlie is a goldmining town in Western Australia. Your particular Mackey bottle is fairly common over here and dates around the 1890's-1900's.

There are a couple of excellent websites that provide information on Codd Bottles, the Patent, Maker, Types of Patents/Bottles, Modern Codds (they are still used in Asia - especially India and Japan) etc., including these:
www.codds-n-odds.co.uk/index.html
www.oldfizz.com/
www.mpotten.freeserve.co.uk/

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28