Coffin poison and other stuff

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ruccello

Reaction score
Thanks Joe, we're working hard - this is a big dump, should keep us busy for a while.

Poison_Us, thanks for the info, I appreciate it - wasn't sure about the KR-43, it's a 1/2 ounce by the way, I don't know if that makes a difference?

pikewayne, your right! I love digging all types of dumps, you never know what will turn up. I love the deco sodas and milks that we pull from these later dumps. It's a bonus when the dump gets older the deeper you dig.

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Nice stuff rucello! You must be digging up on the NE Conn area. I used to dig around the Danielson area all the time. My buddy owns some property up there with literally miles of woods all, and we made some nice finds up there, both digging and metal detecting. I've got to get back up there soon. Thanks for posting the Wilson bottle. Also, on the Dr Haynes, does that have other embossing, or does it just read Dr Haynes Arabian Balsam?

ruccello

Reaction score
Hey thanks treasurekidd. I'm in Mansfield, but I dig wherever I can. We find lots of local meds from willimantic like the Wilson bottle. There are still so many places to dig up this way, and all the way out to Danielson, lot's of history around these parts. I also detect around the different mill sites. If you ever make it to CT, let me know, maybe we can scout some areas. How's the diggin in RI, I see other RI diggers post some nice stuff.

The Dr. Haynes doesn't have any more writing on it. Not a bad looking bottle, too bad it was machine made.

truedigr

Reaction score
Sweet finds ruccelo!!! I dig those inks every now and then, but they are usually stained up pretty bad. Never had a cobalt coffin, but did dig a honey amber one. I sold it 15yrs. ago for $200 to a collector. Love those deco sodas. They are always fun to dig. Some of them can be quite rare and valuable. Down here in Texas they had one glass plant, the Three Rivers Glass Company in Three Rivers, Texas. They were in operation 1915-1933. They made a bunch of deco soda for many companies and states. They tend to bring about 3times as much as for instance a Nehi or Orange Crush without 3 Rivers. They stamped the base or heel, 3 rivers or 3R and a star. There are quite a few collectors of three rivers stuff, so keep your eyes open for that mark on the sodas. They could bring a pretty penny. Robert

ruccello

Reaction score
Hey Robert, thanks for the info on the deco's, I'll keep an eye out for the 3 rivers. About 200 feet to the right of where we're digging was a soda bottle dump, we've got quite the collection of BIM crowns, early machine crowns, and deco's that we pulled out of there - mostly locals. Not many collectors of the early crowns, even though there are some beautiful early crowns out there. I still love em. Looks like you dug a bunch of the early crowns too, but the dump your in looks like its got more age than the one we're in right now. Thank's for the kudos!

RedGinger, thanks - they're the first poisons we've ever dug. I'm thinking about digging a privy that I just located at an old stone foundation - I'm taking my cues from you! Amazing stuff you guys pulled out of your last privy adventure.

Richard

adshepard

Reaction score
Richard,

Nice stuff! I love the coffin poison. When I read Hosmer I figured you were local. I'm down the road in Tolland. However I'm a bottle diver not a digger, well not a digger yet.

I've been toying with the idea of diving some of the old mill sites.

Alan

ruccello

Reaction score
Alan, I'm a certified diver (haven't gone in years) but I thought it would be pretty interesting to dive the mill sites. Lots of them on the willimantic and natchaug rivers. You have much luck diving for glass?

RIBottleguy, not sure where the BlueBird is from. I've only seen a couple before online. I'll have to post in the soda bottle section to see if anyone knows.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Richard

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter